Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

wow im impressed...

starboy82

hi all, just got in from a few hours in the garden with my SW explorer 150p. its only the second time i had it out but wow, the moon was absolutely stunning and when i was looking at it through the 10mm and barlow it was even better, fantastic detail along the terminator with all the craters and mountain ranges ;) although it was really bright and hurting my eye. moon filter deffo next purchase..can anyone point me towards one thats compatible with my scope? also got a look at mars, it wasnt the best conditions tonight so i couldnt get a very clear view but it was there in my eyepiece. :) had a look at orion nebula (i think lol) for the first time also, it had a sort of green/greyish colour to it, and it looked like there were 3 or 4 stars in the middle of it. it amazes me that something so 'small' to us is actually massive on a scale we cant really comprehend. was thinking about waiting up for saturn but im not really that hardcore yet lol :icon_eek:

it was getting pretty cloudy anyway. i think its safe to say i've been bitten by the bug hard. still getting my head round the eq mount though, but im getting there albeit slowly.

Liam

Hi Liam,

Try here : Moon & Neutral Density Filters

I recently bought a Baader ND (0.9/1.25") Moon filter, but sadly the weather is making sure I don't get to try it any time soon. :icon_eek: I was checking out the Moon myself last night, but the cloud and mist meant I didn't need filters!

it had a sort of green/greyish colour to it

Yep, that's about right.

looked like there were 3 or 4 stars in the middle of it

That little group are referred to as the Trapezium. There are another two (dimmer) stars in the group, although you'd need some really steady seeing and a powerful scope to be able to resolve them.

Sounds like you had a good night with your new scope here's to some more clear skies for you and all :)

yes it was great, i needed a good hobby, i think it time to say bye to any spare cash i actually have ;) it wasnt great conditions here over portsmouth a few spells of cloud but i was completely clouded out at around 1.30 - 2am. :) i realised after reading a few tutorials that i was using the eq mount slightly wrong lol, i think i'll crack it next time. :icon_eek:

Glad you had such a great session, Liam. :icon_eek:

Till you get the Moon filter, try putting on a pair of sunglasses. You may look a bit silly, but it'll dim the view a bit. Btw, observing a non-filtered Moon might cause a bit of discomfort because of the brightness, but there's absolutely no danger to your eye. It's the Sun that needs proper filtration. :)

........... :icon_eek: had a look at orion nebula (i think lol) for the first time also, it had a sort of green/greyish colour to it, and it looked like there were 3 or 4 stars in the middle of it. it amazes me that something so 'small' to us is actually massive on a scale we cant really comprehend...........

Liam

Whats really amazing is that the Orion Nebula complex isn't small at all. We can only see the brightest densest tiny portions of it.

Have a look at this pic and imagine if your naked eye had the power of a long exposure camera and you were looking at the Constellation of Orion with the naked eye. Imagine seeing a Nebula appear so large in the night sky.

Orion with Barnard's Loop

Have a look at this pic and imagine if your naked eye had the power of a long exposure camera and you were looking at the Constellation of Orion with the naked eye.

:icon_eek: Wow.. not sure i'd like to see that every time i stepped outside. :)

Besides, if the Horsehead Nebula was a naked-eye object, we wouldn't have any observing challenges to aim for. ;)

Hi Liam,

i`m like yourself, new to this , but if your getting a moonfilter i`d advise getting one with a metal body. To explain i ordered a 13% light transmission moon filter recently. There are ones which will pass more light but as my scope has an 8" aperature i reckoned 13% was plenty. It arrived duly but sadly it made out of plastic and hence the threads on the cell are plastic too.:rolleyes: All of my other filters the ring holding the glass are made of aluminium and thread faultlessy into the ep`s. The plastic one doesn`t and would be very easy to cross thread. It was sold to me as a Skywatcher but there`s no name on the filter edge unlike the Orion or Baader filters i own.

Anyway, best of luck.

Will.

Archived