NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which 15x70's - Budget £200

I have been reading this site together with doing google searches but I still can't really find an answer.

I am looking to get a some 15x70 bino's and have a budget of about £200. I will be using them solely for browsing the skies at night and would most likely be using them handheld. ( I would also use them mounted on a tripod).

Is there a particular model in my price range that is the one to have?? If not what do you guys recommend?

If there is another thread that covers this please let me know.

Many thanks

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Martin

I bought a pair of Celestron Skymaster 15x70 and they are very good including being waterproof - the FOV is 4.4 degrees. I believe they won the best value award in the Sky at Night magazine and cost about £80.

As previously recommended try them out if you can unless you really want to spend £200!!

Mark

I have been looking at the Celestron Skymaster and they do get good reviews.

The one thing that I'm really confused about is that I have some Bresser 10x50 which cost me about £20. I have read various threads on here and some people have said that you see a marked improvement in all aspects of viewing if you spend more money on brands such as Pentax/Nikon etc. I haven't had the chance to try out any better brands but IMO viewing through my Bresser is superb and I wonder how much better it could be.

Back to the 15x70's....I do intend to visit my local shop but the last time I went in they had loads of different makes and I just thought I'd try and get some feedback on which were recommended and also which to avoid (if any).

Thanks for the comments guys.

i think a lot depends on how good your cheapies are becasue there is quite alot of variability. the difference I found between the £15 bressers and £115 opticrons was brightness and sharpness and quality of the view across the field of view (although that is still not great). Also, mechanically they are better eg the build is better and the smoothness of the focuser is better. having said that, i used the bresser cheapies for a couple of years and was very happy with them.

Does that mean that a Good Copy of a cheapy pair can be as good as a more expensive pair or do you still pay for an overall better viewing experience? I don't mind spending that bit extra but only if it's worth it.

I'll have a visit to my local shop when time allows and have a try and chat with them....they seem to offer good advice but I don't really have experience to compare it with.

I would say (and I am no expert) that if you are unlucky or not careful, a cheap pair may be really carp whereas a "good" pair won't be. however, I don't think a cheapie pair will ever be as good as a really good pair because of the coatings and (I guess) the quality of the glass. Nb if you want to use them for astro, check them out when it's dark (sorry if that sounds obvious) - I have a pair that are just horrible in the daytime but glorious at night.

I would say (and I am no expert) that if you are unlucky or not careful, a cheap pair may be really carp whereas a "good" pair won't be. however, I don't think a cheapie pair will ever be as good as a really good pair because of the coatings and (I guess) the quality of the glass. Nb if you want to use them for astro, check them out when it's dark (sorry if that sounds obvious) - I have a pair that are just horrible in the daytime but glorious at night.

It is obvious but a really good point to make.........however, the shop only opens 9am - 5pm so may be struggling for trying out a pair in total darkness. (although it could be dark enough at 5pm now though I suppose??)

If you can afford an extra £75, these are the best. Helios - Helios Apollo High Resolution

bit sweeping, no?

ps if the ones on astro b/s are 45degree or 90 degree the OP might find that a distinct advantage over staright thru types - some people (me included) find straight thru very awkward for anythig over about 45 degrees and you need a very tall tripod (unless you are very very short...)

quite a lot more - I think only larger and higher end bins will be 45 or 90 deg because (I guess) they are mostly used for astro and (I guess again) there is a bit more work in making them. Usually they would come with individual helical focusers too.

This is the problem with doing too much research - you realise that what you want, you can't afford. seriously, any decent set of 15x70s will give you "WOW" views of the sky.

Steve, as a matter of interest, what are your thoughts on the Helios Apollo?? Are they easily hand holdable (is that a real word?) and are they worth the extra over the cheaper Helios 15x70 models?

The Helios Appollo are reeealy good, noticeably better than the Q4 series, as soon as you pick them up you can tell they are something special. You can handhold them but they are quite heavy so if you plan a lot of binocular-astronomy then budget for a recliner, tripod or a monopod with a tilt-platform.

HTH

Archived