Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NEW Skywatcher Focal Reducers

FLO

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a WO 111 and its poo :( with my equinox's and in my opinion a waste of money
Have you let your supplier know? They might be prepared to change it for something more suitable.
WO ones at 0.8X vs these, any comment?
It is too early to say Nick but we hope to organise an SGL review so watch this space ;)

As I understand it, the WO Type II FF/FR works very well with the ED80, but the Type III does not. Whether the Type II suits the Equinox I couldn't say.

It'll be interesting to see if these new SW FRs will actually even physically *fit* the Equinox, without having to kludge up some homemade adapters.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Gents

If you look a few posts up I did manage to get a .85 reducer attached to my equinox 120mm and the results I am getting are very satisfactory,

You will need to use some adaptors to get it attached to a equinox ( I was lucky as I had some )

I have not used any of the other reducers, but do not see why they should be any different

Regards Harry

Soooooo. Any updates on the SW reducers?

It is still early days but we have made all three of the new Skywatcher focal reducers available to SGL for review (I don't know yet who will be reviewing them). We are also changing one of James' imaging scopes to a Skywatcher Evostar 120ED DS PRO so he will also be using one of the new reducers.

Steve, did you have any luck in hooking one of these up to the C80ED ?
We no longer have any Celestron 80ED (it has been discontinued) but I'll happily send you one of the new reducers to try, then you can let us know how compatible it is :headbang:

Steve, new to this so sorry if this is a silly question :icon_eek:.......is there a specific focal reducer for Skywatcher Skymax 127? or are these new focal reducers generic for all skywatchers?

Currently deciding on first scope and my choice is down to a Skymax 127 or a Celestron Nexstar 5 or 6 Se ........ still researching the various bits that go with each scope, your advice appreciated, thanks :hello2:

Good results Harry and the CCDinspector report is excellent. Thank you fro posting that, very useful. You just can't beat a bit of hard data!

What is the spacing Steve, is it the usual 55mm?

I like screw in fittings but the downside for the standard ED120 will be the lack of ability to rotate the CCD.

Hi, I posted this question elsewhere, but will ask on this thread as it is more relevant. Celestron Onyx EDF 80 (f6.3). I'm not sure there is a direct T-ring thread (I use a 2"x2" T-adapter so I can thread in 2" filters). Will any of these work with the Onyx? (apparently it is virtually the same as the Equinox 80 ED, but prettier and with only a one-speed focuser).

M.

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for having missed some questions.

Ptolemy, there isn't a specific focal reducer for the Skymax 127 but you might find this useful.

Given the time of year, we haven't had time to experiment attaching these focal reducers to anything other than the scopes they are intended for. Optically and mechanically they are designed for the ED80, 100 and 120. To attach them you need only the Skywatcher focal reducer and the Skywatcher M48 Ring Adapter

Harry has demonstrated that they can be attached to the Equinox series, if you are prepared to jump through a few hops, which is good news.

We have added a Skywatcher 120 ED DS PRO and a matching focal reducer to FLO's (James) imaging setup so hope to have something to show in the New Year. Steppenwolf has also kindly offered to test one in his Skywatcher 80 ED (he currently uses the WO III reducer).

HTH :)

Archived