Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NEW Skywatcher Focal Reducers

FLO

Harry Page,

Hi Harry, do I assume you have made your own threaded connector, if so can you enlighten us as to what size thread fits the Skywatcher adapter? it would be most helpful.

Thanks John.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about asking SRB Griturn, They make custom made camera adaptors etc etc. connector rings. They made me a couple of adaptors for connecting a camera lens to my Canon & Atik

01582 661878

Hi Fay,

Strangely enough I came across their web site a couple of days ago, they seem to be able to manufacture any device you want and should be able to produce the goods, so I sent a message to FLO for Steve to have a look. How expensive were your adapters by the way and did they make a good job?.

Thanks John.

Hi Harry,

Thanks for the info, I had put my vernier Gage across the threads and came to the same result, I now its only 1mm but it may as well be from here to eternity, the blooming thing won`t fit, however, SRB Griturn may have the answer.

Thanks John.

One of the adaptors was £40 the other £70, depends on the complexity, & yes fine. I did visit the factory so they could measure what I wanted correctly, could not rely on myself. Probably a lot nearer to some of you people than me. I will give you the address if you have not got it.

Dangerous Dave has also used them a few times.

• 2 weeks later...
Well for the C80 I beg to differ. May I present exhibit A:

[ATTACH]37975[/ATTACH]

The following picture hopefully shows the parts of the stock R&P focuser that comes with the C80, and how it unscrews to allow the fitting of the reducer.

This is gonna sound like a daft question, but can you still achieve focus with the reducer mounted at that point ?

This is gonna sound like a daft question, but can you still achieve focus with the reducer mounted at that point ?

Indeed I can! I no longer need an extension tube, the focus point is probably about half way through the focuser travel if memory serves.

I've just got a custom adaptor off astrobuysell, a real stroke of luck. :D Though I'll still be watching this thread with interest... I hope the option provided by FLO isn't too much cheaper than what I paid! :p

I'll just point something out here that may have an impact on the design of these adaptors...

Having just tried out the custom 2" adaptor from astrobuysell I found that I really struggle to get enough inward focuser travel now! :D This is an issue because I'm not removing the black part that is normally screwed onto the draw tube of the stock focuser (the bit that has the 2 retaining screws). So that's ~25mm added on, and then the custom adaptor itself adds ~20mm.

Measuring everything up I found that I wouldn't be able to rack the focuser in enough to get focus, based on measuring how it was all connected before and the mark I placed on the draw tube.

I did manage to get around it by removing the locking ring part from the threaded section of the draw tube too, allowing me to rack it in another 5mm, which is just about enough. I hope.

So I would suggest that the design of these adaptors should be made as low profile as possible, at least for anyone using the stock focuser.

For information, this is the adaptor:

post-16299-133877459306_thumb.jpg

Hi

The adaptor you have is the one I made for use with my equinox 120mm and even though there was not a lot of infocus left I could manage to focus quite easily with out removing anything from the scope.

I do not think anything from the equinox focuser tube can be removed :D

But I do agree that a simple machined insert would be better , but it took me ages to find the bits you have :p

Harry

Darn it, grrrrr. I knew I should have bought that adapter with Harrys Equinox when I had the chance......

Ahwell, I'm on the lookout to make my own adapter now or machine a 56mm thread onto the end of my spare drawtube.

wont be turning the 56mm thread onto the tube. Once the flanged end has been turned down ready to put the thread on it, there would only be approx 2mm of wall thickness as there is a 1mm deep recess on the inside of the tube where the copper compression ring sits.

That makes the internal diameter 52mm and the OD would have to be 56mm which leaves 2mm to turn the thread onto.....ahwell.

• 2 months later...

Any news yet? If not.............

I may investigate a local engineering company to see if they can make me an adaptor.

Thing is I don't want to buy a 120 reducer until I know for certain they can make me something.

Fay

Any news yet? If not.............

I may investigate a local engineering company to see if they can make me an adaptor.

Thing is I don't want to buy a 120 reducer until I know for certain they can make me something.

Fay

Hi Fay,

The adaptor has been available for a little while now, been using one myself and its very good.

Heres a link, Adaptors - FLO Adapter for Skywatcher Focal Reducers

HTH.

Archived