Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Whats the best £ for £ red dot finder?...

For me it's been the Rigel Quickfinder at just under £30 from FLO. It uses a 2 ring reticule (.5 deg and 2 deg I think) which really helps with star hopping, it's brightness is adjustable (and not too bright like some I've tried), the alignment is easy to adjust as you observe if needed with a "no tools" approach plus you have variable pulsing reticule option if you want and it does not dew up as easily as a Telrad does. Add to that lot it's compact footprint and light weight and it's a winner IMHO ;)

John

I tell you what i want it for Gaz.

I want it for mounting on my binoculars for lining up my alignment stars when setting up the LX200 mount.

I have just been told one of the guys in my astro society is going to donate a WO RDF to me on Friday so i will just form a bracket to mount it on the bins.

For mounting on a pair of bins... the SkySurfer III is excellent, it's small and lightweight, but better than the SW type free ones that come with kits. But as you have one being donated, that's gotta be better still ;)

Hi Jamie,

I know just what you mean having used your bins at Kielder.

£ for £ a free RDF is the biz for the task in hand. You can always remove it once it's done it's job ;)

If the LX breaks down or you want to star hop on a regular basis, the Rigel would be the one I would go for.

Dave.

Archived