Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Couple questions

Hi,

I've got my eyes on a 10" Skywatcher dob, what I would like to know is, is the scope detachable from the mount, and how easy is it to do, for transport etc? I figure I could put the mount in the car boot and lay the scope across the back seats I don't think it would fit any other way.

Also, this may seem like a basic question but I can't find the answer anywhere.. say i'm looking at a planet, mars, how quickly does it move across the sky? will I need to continually move the scope in order to follow it to keep it in view, or does it move slow enough so that once I have found it, I can watch it nicely for a few minutes before having to just gently nudge the scope?

because, if I have to constantly move it while trying to look at things, that is a real downside for me and i'd have to look for a different scope with a tracking mount.

do DSO's move slower than planets since they're further away or do they move around faster? or is it roughly the same from our perspective?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just started too and I got an 8". It's big!

The tube can be detached. I just remove 2 screws (no tools needed) and I can pull it out. Mine is an Orion and I never used a Skywatcher.

About the tracking, I find it easy after the 1st night. Initially I got confused with the upside down image. At high mag, say 100x plus you have to adjust at least once every min or so. But it's painless since you can keep your eye on the eyepiece and gently push/pull the tube.

Sunwind

Yes, the scope is removed from the mount for transport.

Objects will move across the sky at 15 degrees (approx) per hour (360 degrees / 24 hours). The higher the magnification, the faster they will move across the field of view of your eyepiece.

I've got an 8" Helios dob. I have a small car (Mitsubishi FTO) and the OTA fits nicely in the back seat. The mount won't fit in the boot (archaic English term for a 'trunk' [i guess early English motorists strapped boots to the back of their cars; American tied trunks to the back of their's]), so I just put it on the passenger seat.

With an eyepiece that gives a 1 degree field of view an object on the celestial equator will remain in view for 4 minutes.

Dana

thanks guys, guess i'll definetly be getting that 10" one then when I get back from Egypt in a few weeks :D

I emailed the website selling it and they told me it doesn't come with a Barlow, what magnification barlow should I get and how much should I spend on it?

thanks

Hi,

do DSO's move slower than planets since they're further away or do they move around faster? or is it roughly the same from our perspective?

Oooh I think everybody's missed this part of your question - even Michigander, my husband. I'm just a grass widow on this site (I only post occasionally on the social threads), but I do believe that I can answer this part.

For most purposes, all objects will seem to move across the field of view at the same speed. This is because the apparent movement is caused by OUR rotation here on earth.

AFAIK - the various objects do move at different speeds, but from our perspective that difference is so slight that the relative movement of the planets only becomes apparent over days and weeks - or even, in the case of the stars, constellations and DSO's over many millenia

Marion

I would stick with a x2 Barlow if you do intend to buy one.

It will effectively double the power of each eyepiece you have.

You will love a 10" Dob.

Ron.:D

Skywatcher - Skywatcher ED Deluxe 2x two-inch Barlow Lens

will this one do?

seems rather expensive but i'd prefer to buy a good one that I won't ever need to replace

it says it's for 2" scopes and the details for the scope says "Dual-Fit 1.25"/2" Focuser" I assume that is what the barlow would fit onto, the 'focuser'? so if it's dual it can accept both 1.25 and 2" right?

thanks

Any eyepieces that come with the telescope, will almost certainly be 1 1/4" ones. The Barlow you chose is a 2" one.

Your focuser will also need to be a 2", although it may well be, with 1 1/4" adaptor included, but you should make sure about that before buying the 2" Barlow. If you intend buying 2" eyepieces, they too will be more expensive than 1 1/4" 0nes.

Ron.

Any eyepieces that come with the telescope, will almost certainly be 1 1/4" ones. The Barlow you chose is a 2" one.

Your focuser will also need to be a 2", although it may well be, with 1 1/4" adaptor included, but you should make sure about that before buying the 2" Barlow. If you intend buying 2" eyepieces, they too will be more expensive than 1 1/4" 0nes.

Ron.

well now i'm confused again, what is this 1/4? i've only seen 1.25 and 2"

and did you see where I said "the details for the scope says "Dual-Fit 1.25"/2" Focuser" I assume that is what the barlow would fit onto, the 'focuser'?"? doesn't this mean the scope will fit with a 2" barlow?

also the barlow details say "Accepts both 1.25" & 2" eyepieces" so it shouldn't matter right? or does it? I don't know.

well now i'm confused again, what is this 1/4? i've only seen 1.25 and 2"

and did you see where I said "the details for the scope says "Dual-Fit 1.25"/2" Focuser" I assume that is what the barlow would fit onto, the 'focuser'?"? doesn't this mean the scope will fit with a 2" barlow?

also the barlow details say "Accepts both 1.25" & 2" eyepieces" so it shouldn't matter right? or does it? I don't know.

1 1/4" IS 1.25". I was writing it as a vulgar fraction, not it's decimal size.:D

Ron.

I hope you didn't misunderstand me when I said a x2 Barlow, I was referring to the amplifying power of the lens in it, not the size of the barrel :D.

Ron.

*sigh* I just don't know what i'm doing now this is so frustrating..

OK, I will do this again, as I may have confused you.

Your scopes focuser is a 2 inch one, with an Adaptor that will let you use 1.25" eyepieces. You can also use a 2" Barlow, and put a 1.25" eyepiece into it, by using the 2" to 1.25" adaptor that comes with the scope. It will also accept 2" eyepieces,

Does that explain it better? Sorry if I was getting you confused.

:D

Ron.

OK, I will do this again, as I may have confused you.

Your scopes focuser is a 2 inch one, with an Adaptor that will let you use 1.25" eyepieces. You can also use a 2" Barlow, and put a 1.25" eyepiece into it, by using the 2" to 1.25" adaptor that comes with the scope. It will also accept 2" eyepieces,

Does that explain it better? Sorry if I was getting you confused.

:D

Ron.

this is the scope i'm going to be getting: Dobsonians - Skywatcher Skyliner 250PX Dobsonian

when it says "Dual-Fit 1.25"/2" Crayford Focuser" does that mean it's really a 2" but it comes with some kind of adaptor (it doesn't mention any adaptor)

so, after all that, basically everything will be interchangeable since it all fits together in some way right?

so what is the point in all of this, you say 2" EP's are more expensive but if the barlow I linked can fit both 1.25" and 2" EP's it doesn't matter does it since I can just buy 1.25 EP's? or are 2" EP's better than 125's? is it bad to use a 2" barlow with 125 EP's or vice versa?

I just don't understand the significance of all of this

Crayford focusers on the whole, are all 2", but they come with a 1.25 insert which permits the use of 1.25 eyepieces.

Not many buyers of scopes will use 2" eyepieces. The vast majority will use standard 1.25" eyepieces, and that scope you are buying, will do a great job just using those eyepieces.

There is no reason why you should buy a 2" Barlow, a 1.25" one will do the job just as well with that scope.If you wish to go ahead and buy the 2" Barlow, then as you said, everything will work together to allow you to do that. The choice is yours.

Ron.

hi

the focuser is 2", with a adaptor for using 1,25" equipment.

the 2" barlow is good, it allows you to use both 1,25" and 2" eyepieces.

you can use 1,25" eyepieces just fine in it.

the 2" eyepieces is good on low magnification, giving widefield of vision.

they are not better then 1,25", they complement them.

dont get frustrated, the equipment you have decided on is good, and you will find out the rest as you go along.

alfi

Crayford focusers on the whole, are all 2", but they come with a 1.25 insert which permits the use of 1.25 eyepieces.

Not many buyers of scopes will use 2" eyepieces. The vast majority will use standard 1.25" eyepieces, and that scope you are buying, will do a great job just using those eyepieces.

There is no reason why you should buy a 2" Barlow, a 1.25" one will do the job just as well with that scope.If you wish to go ahead and buy the 2" Barlow, then as you said, everything will work together to allow you to do that. The choice is yours.

Ron.

I see thanks, what is the difference between 2" and 1.25" when viewing?

Celestron Ultima 2x Barlow Lens 1.25" can you tell me if this is a good choice? like I said I want to make sure I won't ever have to "upgrade" to a better one. (saying that, there are some which seem to be priced at £200-£500, but I doubt I will ever be buying ones that much ever anyway :D)

It brings a 2" focuser with a 2" to 1.25" adapter.

You can find the full specs of the scope here at Skywatcher's official site.

The idea is: if you buy a 2" barlow you can then use any eyepiece (EP) size with it.

The barlow goes directly into the focuser and the EP goes on the barlow directly for 2" EPs and with the adapter in between for the 1.25" EPs.

It brings a 2" focuser with a 2" to 1.25" adapter.

You can find the full specs of the scope here at Skywatcher's official site.

The idea is: if you buy a 2" barlow you can then use any eyepiece (EP) size with it.

The barlow goes directly into the focuser and the EP goes on the barlow directly for 2" EPs and with the adapter in between for the 1.25" EPs.

so are you saying it's a good idea to get the 2" barlow so I can use any eyepeice size with it? the previous poster says they compliment 1.25" barlows so what i'm getting from this is, that I should get two barlows both different sizes?

The Celestron Ultima has an excellent reputation, and will not disappoint you.

The more expensive ones are probably Teleview Imagemates which amplify up to 5x, but that kind of magnification is not recommended with a Dobsonian, you would never have time to centre an object before you would need to move the scope again to catch it up.

The really expensive ones are probably Apochromatic ones, which use very expensive glass for the multiple lenses in them.

Not for the average pocket. At least not mine.:D

Ron.

hi

if you get a 2" barlow, you will only need one. if you get a 1,25" barlow, and later get some 2" eyepieces, then you will not be able to use them in the small barlow.

i would go for a 2" barlow, then you are covered for the future.

they dont cost that much more.

iv got one like the 2" you linked to, and it works well.

alfi

Archived