NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from the Thames Valley

Chiz

Hi,

After years of staring at the night skies with my eyes I thought it was time to upgrade and give them a bit of assistance. Judging by the posts in SGL I'm sure I'll be able to get lots of advice as I make the next step.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for all the friendly welcomes. I've not been posting much, but reading tons and tons of useful information, advice and opinions on SGL over the last two months or so.

I finally received my scope yesterday (many thanks to James @ FLO :)) and got it assembled this morning.

Waking to a thick fog, followed by total cloud cover :icon_eek:, I didn't think I'd get a chance to use it in anger for a day or two, but in the last half an hour the skies have cleared - with the few remaining wisps heading for the west at top speed.

I've been waiting a lifetime to catch my first glimpse of Jupiter through my own 'scope and in just a handful of hours it looks like my dream will come true. :eek:

I just hope that the sky will stay clear until later and I can get to grips with the intricacies of the equatorial mount, eyepieces, focussing, RA, etc. before the Jovian giant dips too low in the sky.

Excited anticipation? You bet!

If it doesn't work out then I'll be back tomorrow, and the next day, and the next ...

[edit - I spoke too soon, those darned clouds have come rolling back over again, although Metcheck thinks it might clear later.]

Archived