Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dreadful seeing tonight...

Vega

Had a quick gander at the moon and Jupiter through the ED80. Jupiter was an awful jibbering mess. Anyone else find the atmosphere darn right awful tonight?

ps its quite a warm one for end of September (15deg C at the mo!) , probably somthing to do with it

Matt

Not thought of checking where the ole stream is... I live in Somerset so it may have taken a trip quite far South. I often find these things are not an exact science so I tend not to link seeing with the jetstream too closely (Go out and have a gander, is my rule). I find cloud prediction however can be forecast quite easily with satellite data.

Matt

Did a public meeting in Chipping Sodbury last night. Early on it was wall-to-wall cloud, but these parted during my talk, and then afterwards the sky was pretty clear, though the seeing was awful too. However, the punters were happy to be able to see Jupiter, and Callisto and Ganymede - couldn't see Io and Europa, but checking in Stellarium later, its likely they were behind or too near the disk. And the moon was o.k. at low magnification. Later was able to see M31 without much difficulty - though not naked eye from the site.

/callump

I tend not to link seeing with the jetstream too closely (Go out and have a gander, is my rule). I find cloud prediction however can be forecast quite easily with satellite data.

Go out and have a look by all means. Observation of "faint fuzzies" is not much affected by jet stream smearing, even if it's so bad that it's hard to focus a star at x100.

Satellite data is quite useful for predicting large weather features but the infra red images (which are all that is available at night) are totally hopeless at detecting low level stratus, which can roll in off the sea with little or no warning and completely wipe out all types of observation.

Must admit, due to the cloud I didnt bother hunting down DSO's. Just looked at moon an Jupi in the gaps.

James: Proof that seeing for planets is very much a local effect. It could have just been from the traffic/houses to the South of my location. Or it could have been the time of night. I was only observing between 9:45 - 10:15.

Matt

Had a look with my resurected 60mm. Shouldn't have bothered. LP so bad from west London nothing below 2nd mag visible. Jupiter was boiling, did see a couple of belts, but only intermittently. Moon was a little better, but still very turbulent. Did a check on Altair, one ring visible intermitently but boiling all over. Used a 9mm Ortho for all, magnification 79.

Dave

I had something similar on Saturday night. Jupiter, which was directly above an extremely bright street light, was very acceptable showing 4 bands and 4 moons.

M13 which is in my western horizon and darker than the South wouldn't resolve to anything more than a fuzzy blob. This normally resolves to lots of individual stars.

Weird

Archived