NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

G'day from Brisbane

AstroEye

Just thought I'd drop a line and say g'day from Brisbane. After many years of looking in shop windows I finally convinced my wife of the need and bought an 8" Dobsonian last Christmas. This fuelled a little fire that had been burning for a very long time and much to my wife's dismay items have been added to the Dob at regular intervals. The latest addition will be an HEQ5 Pro mount which I'm getting as a combined Christmas come 50th birthday present (basically any present for the next year!!).

I've also enrolled in a University Certificate in Astronomy at the University of Central Lancashire which I am very much looking forward to. It should be a nice change from the Geophysics that I deal with on a day to day basis!

Anyway, I look forward to reading the thoughts of others in the northern climes and wish everyone clear skies and warm nights!

Anyway, I look forward to reading the thoughts of others in the northern climes and wish everyone clear skies and warm nights!

G'day mate. Those of us in northern climes envy the folks in the southern hemisphere for your incredible skies, although I'm lucky in that I have been south of the Equator four times.

Johnh - you lucky person. I want to emigrate but unfortunately Australia doesn't want me... :D

Thanks everyone for your kind welcomes to the forum.

BlueAstra - you're right it is a long commute!! I've done external courses before (business, palaeontology) but this is my first that hasn't been from a uni based in Australia. Fortunately there are no weekend courses that I need to attend at UClan so there's no need to dust of the passport!!

Johnh - you'll enjoy Brisbane. Winter here is a delight with clear skies, day and night, and daytime temps around 20-24C. Summer can get quite cloudy and humid but I still managed some very decent viewing last summer. We are apparently heading for a new El Nino cycle so that means lesss clouds and less rain - good for viewing but not so good for the garden!

Archived