NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

netbook puzzle

Hi folks, its Mrs Bobs birthday next week, so I thought I would buy her a netbook (plus I would nick it now and then for astro use :))

So there we are wizzing through the ether looking at various models when it suddenly dawned on me :D these netbooks dont have a diskdrive :D My question to you folks is :- how would one load disc based software onto one of these little beastie's ?

Hi Bob,

External USB disc drive or have the software stored on a USB stick from a computer with a drive. The netbooks come with usb 2.0 usually. One word of advice though, get a netbook with a physical disc rather than a solid state drive.

Steve..

most software tends to be on manufacturers websites to download... and of course this is the best way to update versions and get fixes anyway...

And as mentioned already you can unpack drivers etc to a usb drive on another computer and transfer to the netbook...

Steve

The little ASUS I was using which you saw at SSP runs Maxim/PHD/Registax/Photoshop CS2/Art Capture/ASCOM/EQMOD/iMerge/CDC you name it...all barring CS2 with no issues at all.. (CS2 scratch disc can be a problem). i have two of them, one which will be permanently set to run CDC/EQMOD/Guiding, and the other for pure imaging, rmeote controlled from the house via Live Mesh (desktop switching!)

Laptops direct - dreadful service from them.

• Spent ages (and a fortune) phoning their premium rate rip off line, this was a bad start.
  • Confirmed the absolute spec of the laptop that I wanted and that it was in stock.
  • Drove down to pick it up.
  • Found out the promised extras were not supplied and they tried to sell me some more expensive items to replace them.
  • Even worse, they had the cheek to accuse me of trying to get something for free even though they had told me it was included 2 hours previously!!

Never again.

Archived