Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter - fighting my hardware

mightymonoped

I'm posting these just to spite my motor drive, which conspires to foil me at every turn.

Spent about an hour trying to get my motors to work (dodgy power connection) then another 45 minutes trying to get the image on the chip!

Anyway, these are the first two from the batch of avi's.

Captured using an Skywatcher ED80 and a TAL 3x Barlow on an EQ5 (complete with dodgy motor).

Not much processing other than a bit of curves for brightness and a wee bit of noise reduction.

Tony

post-12982-133877400751_thumb.jpg

post-12982-133877400754_thumb.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You really are getting some superb Jupiter images MM. Spot on focus (are you using a mask?) and beautiful colours.:o

No mask but I do use one of these puppies..

Misc’ - SkyWatcher Auto Focuser

As far as imaging is concerned, it's possibly the best use of £44 I can think of :)

Then there's a LOT of time spent focussing, much more than the actual image capture.

I must admit, I tend to go with a gut feel on the focus.

Tony

brilliant pics what frame rate and length are your avi's? and what capture and process software are you using??

Generally between 90 and 120 seconds at 10fps (although if the seeings good I'll use 5fps).

To capture, I use QCFocus, as it does everything I need.

I sometimes use Image Analyzer for deconvolution (if it adds any value) but certainly for it's noise reduction (just a wee smidgeon).

I also use CS2 but generally just for levels and curves.

Tony

• 3 weeks later...
I'm posting these just to spite my motor drive, which conspires to foil me at every turn.

Spent about an hour trying to get my motors to work (dodgy power connection) then another 45 minutes trying to get the image on the chip!

Anyway, these are the first two from the batch of avi's.

Captured using an Skywatcher ED80 and a TAL 3x Barlow on an EQ5 (complete with dodgy motor).

Not much processing other than a bit of curves for brightness and a wee bit of noise reduction.

Tony

Amazing:eek:

what camera did you use for that image?

and capturing software?

Details are sharp and crisp

Generally between 90 and 120 seconds at 10fps (although if the seeings good I'll use 5fps).

I sometimes use Image Analyzer for deconvolution (if it adds any value) but certainly for it's noise reduction (just a wee smidgeon).

Tony

sorry

you already mentioned it:D

Tony

Hang on a minute...

there is no mention about the camera...?:D

any filters maybe?

A lovely set of images Tony you get a real sense of a globe and not something two dimensional. ;)

Regards

Kevin

I think you've hit the nail on the head there Kevin. An 80mm is never going to pull detail out like a 9.25, but it can give some detail.

I'm trying to achieve a balance between pulling detail without losing the sense of a real body in space...trying being the operative word:)

Tony

is it the same as SPC900 NC ?

I presume it is baader uv/ir filter....?

very nice image indeed:)

seen lots of jupiter images, yours beats the most of them

Thanks,

the 840K was the ToUcam model that was replaced by the SPC900.

I think the filter is a Baader (or Atik, either way, not expensive)

Tony

Archived