Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help needed, to contact Skywatcher

Hi,

I recently purchased a refractor & mount, but they were delivered by a Neanderthal delivery guy who seemed blissfully unaware of the six "FRAGILE" notices on the box, as he dropped the entire package to the floor, from shoulder height. The end-result : one of the leg-brace rings has snapped, and another is showing signs of going the same way, and for this reason, I'd like to speak to someone at Skywatcher to see if they can supply replacements. I e-mailed them 10 days ago, but have had no response since... Is there anyone here who might work there, or know someone who does? I've had the scope for about a month now, and still can't get to use it properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

:)

The Skywatcher distributor for the UK is Optical Vision Ltd (OVL) :

Optical Vision Ltd ::Telescopes, Binoculars, Spotting Scopes, Microscopes by OVL

I don't think Skywatcher themselves (or Synta who are behind that name) have a UK base ?.

If you let us know which scope it is and more details (photos ?) of the damage then we can help source replacement parts.

You might also want to approach the delivery people (as Steve suggests) as they are obviously liable for the damage if the scope was adequately packaged.

Also get in touch with whoever packaged the scope and arranged delivery - they also have some responsibility I would have thought.

John

I'd have refused to sign for it until I'd opened it and checked it for damage if they dropped it.

I was advised some time ago, whenever I sign for a package to put by my signature "unckecked" - otherwise, by signing, you are acknowledging "safe" receipt of the goods as far as the delivery company are concerned. - Not a lot of help in your circumstances but a useful note for the future.

In this case you really have to go back to the retailer who took the money off you and see what they can do.- Who did you buy from?

I don't think you should have left it for a month.

Mike

I have to agreed , it might prove difficult to make a claim against the couriers after that length of time im afraid :)

Did you write a comment on the delivery note before you accepted the delivery ?

Good luck though :)

I think your first port of call needs to be the dealer you bought it from.

As Optical Vision will generally only deal with trade (after all they didn't supply the scope to you).

Good Luck with the dealer, let us know how you get on.

Ant

Wow... quick responses!

OK, more detail of the issue... I contacted Tuffnells (the courier) the very next day, and their area manager visited me to assess the damage, and to get more detail from myself and my other-half about the delivery guys' attitude (which stank, as it happens), but he informed me that any claim for damage or replacement would have to go through the originating depot (the one the seller used). He agreed to kick the whole procedure off, but several weeks have passed, and I've heard nothing else since. I'll be contacting them again on Monday regarding progress. Apparently, the driver was on his last day before going on holiday when he delivered it, and as a result was not available to counter my claims when his boss came in to see me. It may also explain his somewhat less-than-diplomatic response to our howls of disgust and concern at the way he treated the shipment. He simply didn't care, and wasn't shy to show it either. He is, however, denying it ever took place... but that's another matter.

The scope was bought second-hand (from E-bay, delivered from Cornwall to me in East Kilbride) but since both myself and my partner witnessed the guy dropping the box off the back of his van (which has a tail-lift), and dropping the box to the floor in our shop, even the Tuffnells guy admitted that damage of some sort would be expected. Also, he said his guy should have used the hard-barrow that every truck has, since the box was clearly labelled "36Kg", more than 10Kg above their one-man-lift limit. Incidentally, the only reason it didn't suffer far more extensive damage was the way the seller had packed it - it was phenomenally well packaged, with separate chambers hand-cut for the OTA, tripod and accessories, and the whole package was clearly labelled.

The reason for me trying to source these leg-rings is two-fold; one, to get the scope up and running properly, and secondly, to prove to Tuffnells that I'm actually doing something about it, rather than just sitting on my hands waiting for compensation.

If it is the legs-rings (the bits that un/screw to adjust the height of the tripod) these can be soreted fairly easily. Don't worry too much about Skywatcher replacements, a DIY repair will be better.

Some people use jubilee clips, but I found a better system when one broke on my old Helios EQ3. Get hold of some U-bolts. These are U shaped (as the name suggests) with a thread and bolt at the top of each side of the U. There is a flat metal bracket that goes across the opening (to make it more of a D shape than a U). Get wing nuts so you can un do them easily.

Larger B&Q's sell them, as do TV aerial suppliers - the bolts are used to hold TV aerials on.

Hope that explains it clearly enough for you.

(NB- I bought 3 and replaced them on each leg as they were so much better than the Helios/SW plastic jobs!)

If it is the legs-rings (the bits that un/screw to adjust the height of the tripod)

No, it's the clamps that brace the three legs, and hold the accessory tray :

broken_clamp.jpg

...but I agree with your idea about a home-made solution; the plastic these clamps are made of is really brittle.

I think the main issue is with the delivery people who will not have a leg to stand on. Just keep at them. Get the local paper interested.

I do have a dislke for Optical Vision Ltd though. When I needed to send a handset back via Ian King, the retailer, (who is always first class) he told me that OVL required him to test everything being returned before they would consider replacement. In my opinion these outfits should not put thier own convenience first but that of their customers. When they they sell things that don't work the first backsides they should kick should be their own and they should reply to letters or enquiries from their customers. If they don't - and it is well known that they don't - they clearly label themeselves as cowboys.

Olly

I know they delivery people were rubbish so the temptation is to go after them. But how was the delivery arranged? If you paid the ebay seller for delivery as part of the package then the seller is the one you should be chasing and they in turn should be going after the courier. If you didn't pay any money directly to the courier, then you do not have a contract with them. Always go after the company/person who has broken their contract with you, even if it is not directly their fault.

That said, if it was a private individual it may be easier to get joy from the courier as you are currently trying to do.

Good luck anyway.

The trouble with these couriers is that they usually have a compensation limit that is very low anyway, it will be written in their T&C's and you wont know it exists till you try to claim.

Saying that though, I cant see anywhere on their website that mentions their T&C's!

Persevere with them, dont get fobbed off and you should get something in the end.

Allan

Sorry Allan, I didn't get a notification about your reply. I have since contacted the (local) Tuffnells area manager, (again) and he assures me he's "on the case" :o but my cynical side urged me to tell him I'd be taking matters further if I don't get any positive progress before next Friday (25th Sept).

Julian, you're saying exactly what the Tuffnell's guy said, but it was he himself who volunteered to contact the originating depot, so the ball is still in his court, until the 25th anyway...

Cheers guys,

Ivor.

• 2 weeks later...

Update : (Positive, I'm happy to report!)

Well... this is becoming a bit of an Eastenders episode... :D

The area manager for Tuffnells who visited me to inspect/assess the damage is "no longer with the company". I doubt it's got anything to do with my case, but anyway... I spoke to the lady who's taken his place temporarily, and who happens to be the general manager of Tuffnells Scotland, no less. Anyway, she was 50/50 helpful / obstructive, and suggested I speak to the guy whose clothing company shipped the 'scope etc from Cornwall, who, as it happens, isn't the guy who owned the 'scope. Yes, it's that convoluted.

Aaaanyway... He has just elevated his status to "Saint" in my eyes, by needling Tuffnells (who have been badgering his company to extend their contract with them) into coughing-up the readies, and they've (in a round-about way) agreed. I should be receiving £230-ish, roughly comensurate with the going price of a replacement EQ5 mount. I'm really pleased with this outcome, although my chickens will remain uncounted until my bank account swells with the aforementioned moola. :D

I therefore doff my cap to Drew @ Nomads Clothing in Cornwall. Thank you mate, you've saved the day. Considering I only paid £320 for the (broken) EQ5 + 6" refractor + Nexstar CCD + "Turn Left at Orion" + "Cambridge Star Atlas", I'm almost embarrassedly pleased with the outcome. My EQ6Pro fund will shortly be £230 better off! :)

Thanks Allan. I'm not usually one to pursue all things to completion or closure, unless I feel truly wronged. In this case, apart from the obvious uselessness of an unsteady mount due to damage, it was primarily the delivery guy's attitude and subsequent refusal to accept guilt that made me stand my ground, but it was the help of the scope seller and this guy Drew who made it all happen.

Archived