Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Gear you sold but wish you hadn't...?

I think the Synta ED80 and ED100 should be considered modern classics...

Particularly the Evostar ED80. Its impact on amateur astronomy has been huge (even I've bought one!). In a roundabout way, it has also been responsible for the current wave of sexy Taiwanese APOs. I mean, when a compact, sturdy refractor with Japanese fluorite glass and a Crayford focuser becomes available for around £300.... Whats the competition to do?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another major change for the better with regard to astro equipment was the arrival of russian scopes - TAL, Intes etc. I can remember reading the 1st review of one (Astronomy Now - the 11cm TAL1 Newt I think) with some disbelief then I saw the TAL100 refractor being advertised in AN for £250, EQ mounted, including delivery in late 1999 - so I took a flyer and ordered one .... it arrived about 3 weeks later in it's coffin-like trunk and had come overland from Siberia. Mine was serial 0075 and was a great scope - not glossy but really well engineered. It's only drawbacks were i) it's mount was not as good as the OTA and ii) the limited focusser travel.

If I saw a TAL100 OTA at a good price I might be tempted again - great optical quality for the £'s.

John

This thread is fantastic - now I know to keep my EQ5 and 24mm Panoptic (well, I was intending to anyway) and start saving for an ED100.

Does a Soul count?

My wife's in charge of mine... :)

Hi all,

My one regret was that I had to sell my Cave Astrola 8" f6 Newtonian. It was a beautiful scope for its time, and was my first real astronomical telescope (I had previously had a cheap 4.5" reflector which was not brilliant). This was 1983, and I was about 18 when I sold it, so it was many years ago. The scope was one of the last built by Cave in LA before they went out of business. Since then I have always had a desire to find that 'classic scope' like a Cave, a Starliner, or orange tube C8s in good condition. I currently have an Orion Optics 14" f4.7 Dob, and an ED-80 on a Televue Gibraltar mount here in the UK, and a Skywatcher ED-100 on a Vixen Porta Mount back home in Australia. But adding a classic scope to the collection is high on my wish list.

I've included the original Cave Astrola ad for those too young to remember the good old days.

Malcolm

image.jpg

post-13553-133877328002_thumb.jpg

Skymax MAK 90 - OK, it's a Maksutov, with attendant "negatives"...

But that modest little scope really was "Tack Sharp". (Regd.TM?) :)

My (beginning) set of Vixen Lanthanums, An Antares 1.6x 2" Barlow

and (perhaps) even my Antares Speers-Waler 10mm (But I'll live!) :D

Archived