Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Photoshop or Pixinsight?

MikeP

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mike, I have both programs, come over and spend an hour or two in my caravan, and you can see for yourself.
Cheers TJ. I intend to be absolutely shameless in my attempts to steal as much knowledge as I possibly can, so I'll take you up on that. Thanks.

I have PS CS2 and I've been working through Photoshop Astronomy. It will be interesting to see the Pixinsight equivalents.

Mike

PS What unit of currency for payment are we talking here - biscuits, cakes, beer, season ticket for Wolves?

Hi

The new DBE tool is different from the old tool in several ways

It will try to put samples on area with little signal ( IE not on your neb or galaxy)

It some times fails to do this if you have large illumination differences ( IE no flat frames ) or a lot of light pollution gradients or the image is full of nebula

The original DBE put samples on blindly and not always correctly for a correct model

If you lower the min sample weight DBE will put more samples on the screen or you can apply them by hand ( some times best on a difficult subject)

You must remember to check the sample contents as they must be light to be included in the model and sometimes you will need to increase the tolerance setting

The new dbe tool makes better models and is more adjustable particularly important when you have faint nebula , which can be over flattened if you are not careful.

I must say that the default settings seem to work 90% of the time , but flexibility is important for the difficult jobs and on rare occasions DBE is applied twice the second time with a very low tolerance setting ( LEss than .1)

Clear as mud as they say:p

Regards Harry

I did a test of the new dbe tool against the old and it didn't seem to do as good a job as the LE version. I had to resort to manually placing samples to all the four corners and changing the default settings heavily to achieve anything like the result of the LE version.

If you do make it to Kelling it would be good to go through it and other tools.

Regards

Kevin

Works fine on my quad core with 6GB of Ram and a couple of TB of HDD on spread across SATA controllers under vista 64...

Nice to see an APP written to use the processing capabilities of "modern" PC's if only they included CUDA support as well then it would really fly...

Peter...

Your over my head with the newer technologies Peter.

I'm still using 32 bit Windows Pentium4 3.2Ghz machine.

3Gig limit on this I believe, so you must have a 64 bit OS.

Will you upgrade to Win7, or stay with XP.?

Sorry, reread your post It's Vista you have.

Ron.

CUDA is a mechanism by where the GPU (the processor on the graphics card) is used to perform the maths processing etc... its much faster than the CPU at doing these calcs...

I used windows7 64but Beta but found issues with several of the astro apps running really slowly i didnt try windows7 32 bit ...

The problem is when you have Graphics cards with lots of memory on them it eats into the 4 GB thats available to a 32 bit OS so with my 768 MB cards I was heading for 3GB of Ram... with a 64 bit OS i can use all 6GB ...

Peter...

Hi

I have managed to run Pixinsight on a p4 1.4 ghz, though it was not the fastest;)

I currently use a core 2 duo with 4 meg ram on a 64 bit machine and it works absolutely fine on this machine

Hope you pixinsight fun :D

Harry

P.s.

I have a zx81 with 1k of memory which i upgraded to 16k for over £100.

I then moved on to a zx spectrum with 48k

I could not imagine using all the 48K :)

• 2 years later...

I used PS heavily before starting Astro imaging and was skilled in it. I started to use it for Astro with Noels plugins and a few others and got some good results.

However since buying PI there is so much more this software can do other than the standard stuff people talk about such as dbe.

I use it to calibrate, stack combine, gradient removal, rotational crops, alignment, colour balance, noise reduction, boosts the lot.

About 80% of my processing is done in PI before moving to PS for final tweaks , balance and producing for the web.

In love with the histograms in PI, and nice to hear PI is getting layers too Soon, free to all paid users.

the mosaic tools in PI are also second to none.

If I were you, starting from scratch, get an older copy of PS such as CS3 and spend £150 on PI

Hope this helps

I used PS heavily before starting Astro imaging and was skilled in it. I started to use it for Astro with Noels plugins and a few others and got some good results.

However since buying PI there is so much more this software can do other than the standard stuff people talk about such as dbe.

I use it to calibrate, stack combine, gradient removal, rotational crops, alignment, colour balance, noise reduction, boosts the lot.

About 80% of my processing is done in PI before moving to PS for final tweaks , balance and producing for the web.

In love with the histograms in PI, and nice to hear PI is getting layers too Soon, free to all paid users.

the mosaic tools in PI are also second to none.

If I were you, starting from scratch, get an older copy of PS such as CS5 and spend £150 on PI

Hope this helps

CS5, Old??? Surely not. CS3 Is Old.:)

Archived