SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

All set for tonight

Keithp

Anyone else setting up tonight in the South West. Just had the maxdslr adapter arrive, made up my own dew shield, ex big christmas card to Wifey, which she suggested as suitable material and donated to the cause;), complete with felt lined interior..extends out about 8 inches past the end of the scope.

Fingers crossed I can get a focus though, I know I can with the 2" to 1.25" holder and T thread to the camera, but this has to use the 2" holder on it's own and pushes the camera out by about 2"...not looking good.

And reading elsewhere on the forum I'm going to try a slightly different method on PA. Determined to achive 15 minutes unguided exposures..:(

Basically amounts to using polarfinder setup as usually and try a 5 minute exposure, trails..= yes. Then leave it for 15 minutes and check PA and adjust and do again...It almost sounds like a variation on drift alignment..

Comments anyone?

If I crack the polar alignment I'll let you know and also dig out the post for due credit to the guy who does it that way.:):D

Just got to sort out which target to hit with 15 minute plus exposures..:)

Anyway clear skys all.

Regards

Keithp

Peter...and everyone else with an obsy...that makes me soooo jealous..

Definately have one for next year!:D

Just put the kit out and levelled it off, might be able to do a quick PA in about 15 minutes if it goes dark enough...and not a cloud in sight:hello2:

heh heh

how long will that last

Arrrgh:) can't get a focus with the maxdslr adapter and 2" holder....

Dam.

Anyone know of a very low profile 2" eyepeice holder? or maybe Arthur could knock me one up, new market Arthur.

Back to the 2" to 1.25" and T thread for now..dam. dam

Indeed Keth...

Just Switvh the scope on wake from hibernation... wait for GPS sync... Goto Vega... and there she is just slightly off center in the 12mm Reticule EP on the 8" SCT...... Re-sync on Vega... jobs a good un....

Focus up the 72 with the Ha filter on Vega... Slew to Sadr Calibrate the guiding ... slight reframe to get closer to last weeks RGB image... select a guide star and set a sequence of 20 x 450s subs running ... retire to the house and control it all from there...

Bliss...

p.s. sorry to hear the Maxdslr wont focus up :D

Indeed Keth...

Just Switvh the scope on wake from hibernation... wait for GPS sync... Goto Vega... and there she is just slightly off center in the 12mm Reticule EP on the 8" SCT...... Re-sync on Vega... jobs a good un....

Focus up the 72 with the Ha filter on Vega... Slew to Sadr Calibrate the guiding ... slight reframe to get closer to last weeks RGB image... select a guide star and set a sequence of 20 x 450s subs running ... retire to the house and control it all from there...

Bliss...

p.s. sorry to hear the Maxdslr wont focus up :D

You make it sound sooooooo easy.

Keith I do believe you are referring to Milliways (Dave) with regards to the method of polar aligning....Skies fairly clear here at the moment, shame Steph's (the wife) 12" dob needs collimating...Oh well to the back garden to use the SW 200p. Good luck with the imaging Keith..

You make it sound sooooooo easy.

Been a lot of pain getting to that point though Doc...

Just trying to decide if I can up the exposure of the Ha subs to 600 or 900s.... Luna's sitting right under my target... think I'll get an hour at 450s first...

Also trying out the latest PHD Guide Beta tonight...

Peter...

I don't believe it! :D

The polar alignment worked after 3 goes, just done a 10 minute stretch and no trails...brilliant..hmmm problem though the MOON!

Talk about light polution:glasses1:

Any good targets off to the North at the moment, as far as I can get away from that big light bulb! ?

:)

Regards

Keith

I'm up and imaging, though I'm having all sorts of fun with the moon and light pollution.

Would I be better off with longer exposures at low ISO on the Pleiades? I'm not reaching the limit of my exposure time, but anything over a minute and a half comes back white at iso800.

No auto guiding as I appear to have busted my Sphinx, bit of a bummer. Still it's tracking happily at least.

USELESS, absolutely useless. I've given up, the firkin moon is killing any sort of recognition stars to move on to fainter objects, I've found absolutely zilch!:)

As tmarkuk said anything longer than 30 secs is a whiteout, someone else mentioned on another thread about a job for Bruce Willis and a nuke!

The only good thing about tonight is I could roll ciggies by moonlight:D

The last half hour if it stood out I shot it for 2 mins, see what I got in the morning. Goto setup is the next thing I'm going for without a shadow of doubt!

Remind me not to bother when it's full mooney time...there rant done:)

I was actually pleased to see some cloud come in and blotted that light bulb out!:D

You just know..I'm gonna be clouded out for the next week for that

Regards All

Keithp

Yep, I would have been better off getting some sleep last night, still it was good to get everything set up in the shed again, and the new streetlight the council have installed to replace the old orange one appears to turn itself off after 11pm which is lovely. Failing that I found exactly the right spot to hit it with a lazer pointer and shut it down whenever needed!

As for imaging, I got a lovely picture of the pleiades, well, lovely if your only after the stars!

I set up last night but the Moon was too much of a problem. To be honest it was more a case of unpacking my kit from Salisbury, setting it up, checking it all still works (and trying to iron out some connection problems with TheSkyX) and then putting it away again. Roll on some more clear nights - please!

James

I just dont bother with imaging when our side of the moon is busy getting a tan. It just aint worth all the time and effort. I like to make use of the full moon clear sky by getting down to some good old fashioned observing of doubles and planets. ;-). Dunno if its just me but full moon skies tend to make the colourful doubles more... clourful??

Matt

Archived