Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ooops!, Has that blown it?

Tim

Last night, being tired, I plugged a 13.5v DC cable from my power supply into the supply socket for my USB hub, which normally takes a 5v 100ma DC adapter.

After this, the Shoestring Astronomy GPUSB adapter and also the reciever for my wireless gamepad no longer work. The USB hub itself is fine.

Are they fried? I'm not so concerned about the gamepad, but the gpusb cost me a nights imaging last night, as I couldnt get the guidehead I have to focus through my off axis guider, not to mention I was trying to learn to use Maxim on the fly, which didnt go well....

The electronics in the GPUSB seem pretty simple, what would be most likely to have gone, a little cheap resistor perchance? :p

A new GPUSB is 75 quid, and it seems such a shame if there isn't too much wrong with the old one, that a soldering iron cant fix....

Anybody got any ideas? :):confused::D

Thanks in advance

TJ

Are they fried?
If you can trace the fault to when you plugged in 12+V, then in all likelihood - yes. It's like asking your 230V hair-dryer to accept 600V and still work....

The reason for that is the hub is likely to filter the voltage for itself, but pass the voltage to the USB ports directly.

I think if you are hoping a cheap resistor is the only problem, you are asking a lot! I have no idea what's inside one of these things. Do you have a photo of its insides?

Possibly blown a track on the pcb. Living in hopes mind you, but worth a look. If you find a break, bridge it by soldering a link to the first soldered connection either side of the break.

It's a wing and a prayer job though.

Ron.

tj

if you can pop over to mine the weekend you can lend my gpusb for the weekend so you can guide and check the wiring against yours. I am pulse guiding at the moment so its just a backup.

I can give you some maxim tips as well if that helps :)

Cheers Steve, I might just do that, i'll give you a call if so.

Here's a pic of the PCB, it's pretty simple. A few small resistors, couple of round things, and a couple of what I only know as "microchips".

What is most likely to be damaged? I have a multimeter I can test with if needs be.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Tim

post-14037-133877387351_thumb.jpg

post-14037-13387738736_thumb.jpg

If the Pics dead .... and I reckon its a fair bet that it is... Well your ...in a bit of a fix... as its a progammable micro controller... Shoestring would be your only hope of a spare... you can buy a replacement pic ... but it useless untill its been programmed with the "GPUSB" code...

Peter...

Just had a thought.

I use EQMOD via EQDIR. This controls the mount, so would it also control it for autoguiding? I guess it would be selected as ASCOM in the PHD mount selection?

Cheers

I concur with peter: I checked the Microchip PIC16C745 datasheet (clever little beast has 165 pages of data!). Absolute max VDD is 7.5V, so 13.5V would almost certainly have toasted it. The white object, top left on pcb, is an optocoupler and would probably have blown its little socks off too. Sorry TJ.

Archived