Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Skymax 150 & 180 PRO Reduced!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i know what you mean but frankly given it'd be used in the dark I'd take it if it were puce coloured :)

Sorry but may I ask another question- How would this scope compare against something like the SW100ED, again with the idea of planet imaging !

Karlo, I reckon planetary imaging and observing would be 180's forte. Long focal length, smallish central obstruction, all the attributes you need. The Intes Micro M715 has the same aperture and focal length and is very highly regarded :).

I'm having to seriously restrain myself from buying one!

Tony..

Sorry but may I ask another question- How would this scope compare against something like the SW100ED, again with the idea of planet imaging !

I own both and its not even close where imaging is concerned. Visually on nights of below average/iffy seeing then the ED100 can show as much as the 180mm Mak on planets but otherwise (esp. for imaging) the Mak wins easily.

Planetary imaging requires LONG focal lengths to get any sort of scale (the people that are doing it well are primarily using SCTs - see some of the posts on Jupiter in the imaging section). I'd say the Skymax would be FAR better for planetary imaging due to it's very long focal ratio (a webcam is equivalent to a 5mm lens, so in the 2700 tube it will give around 540x !!) You may not even need a barlow... My C9.25 (at 2350 focal length with a SPC900 at prime focus so a mag of around 470x) gave the following the other night (no resizing): http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-planetary/83311-jupiter-io-europa-14th-july.html

Well, I would have one, but I don't like the colour.........:)

Yep, I've got to admit the white and gold is ghastly but you always have the option of paying an extra £200 for a dark blue version in a couple of months....:D

On the subject of vignetting with 2" eyepieces, has anyone any experience of using a 2" 30mm eyepiece (say 65-70 degree) and was it noticeable?

FWIW I've tried a 24mm Hyperion (68 deg) with no vignetting. I know this doesn't answer your question!!:)

Nitromors and Halfords spray paint would fix that! :)

Yikes! I wouldn't dare do that!! Of course, I would need to buy a mount as well - even if I didn't mind the colour. And you can get an ally case for the 150 - would make it really handy for carrying around/storage. Anyway, I can't afford it...

On the subject of vignetting with 2" eyepieces, has anyone any experience of using a 2" 30mm eyepiece (say 65-70 degree) and was it noticeable?

Apologies for the delayed response, just got back from my hols.

It has been a while since I used ours (its out on loan) but I am pretty sure we tried a WO 33mm Swan and didn't notice vignetting... though I wasn't really looking for it. With a telescope of this type I would expect some vignetting with low power wide-field eyepieces.

HTH

The 150 would be okay but bear in mind that the Maksutov is a high-power narrow-field design so is not well suited to lightweight alt-az mounts. Alt-az mounts are normally favoured by those using low-medium wide-field telescopes such as short-tube refracters or fast Newtonians.

HTH

not well suited to lightweight alt-az mounts.

Sorry - I'm referring to the steel-tubed AZ4 (which can hardly be considered "lightweight" :)) as opposed to the lighter, aluminium-legged version..

Would you consider a 150 atop one of those to be OK?

• 2 weeks later...

Oh crumbs! No we didn't :)

I'm really sorry, it was a busy day.

Greg has borrowed our Skymax 180-pro and owns at least one 2" widefield eyepiece. I have asked him to test it at the earliest opportunity and let us know how much of the field is lost to vignetting. There will be some vignetting.

Archived