Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Greetings from a back garden binocular stargazer.

Meneldil

Hehe good for you :) well you came to the right place for everything astro :)

Fair play on the homemade tripod, and what bins have you got?

A telescope is next logical step and have you given any thought on which one to get?

I inherited them years ago - they're 10x50 by 'Wakefield', no doubt long vanished. Finding a way to keep them still has been a giant leap forward.

I'm trying to decide between one of these 'new' large Dobsonian-mounted reflectors, and a cassegrain which would seem to be easier to carry around.

It's types of mount that are making me think the hardest (see the telescope time trial thread I've started).

Hi there and welcome to SGL

Well supported and reasonble Binoculars give a view that allows for very relaxed observing in my opinion. I certainly had many an hour behind my dads 10x50's on a homemade tripod ! There are 3 dobsonians on e-bay right now and if you didn't know already this type of unguide scope, represents excellent value for money but.. you have to drive it yourself.

Steve

Hehe some of the old bins are the best bins "dont make em like they used to" hehe :)

There are a few things to think about when gettin your first scope...

What are you gonna be using it for? DSO's (Deep sky objects) such as nebulae and galaxies, or planets? or both is usually the outcome, Then you really want to go for the BIGGEST apature possible for the money and portability. Next will you be needing a Goto? these are great as they usually have over 30000 objects in its database and will automatically point to whatever you want to see.. but as with most techical stuff.. it will cost ya!! Personally i find the hunt for faint objects is more fun than having it put there on a plate :headbang:

Now will you want to do astrophotography (awsome!) and show other people what you have seen? With a dobsonian they are pretty much useless in this department but give fantastic apature for the money!! awsome views. You could go for a schmidt cassegrain (like a Meade ETX125) They have a 6" apature on a goto mount, I had one of these as my first telescope and had awsome fun with it!! views where great but the only flaw was that the polar alignment of the scope was a pain in the *** and took ages.. even then i got starstreaks :) But again a great scope for a beginner.. Now onto the newtonian reflector.. I have one of these now and i have to saw WOW! awsome views and amazing accuracy when doin astrophotography.. the mount i have with it (HEQ5 syntrek) is solid and easy to align.. plus if i want to get a differant OTA it will fit straight on it.. but as i said before.. anything technical has its price tag.

After all that.. my advice to you is.. get something that is easy to move, easy to use and when you get used to that then decide which way you want to go :)

Hope this has helped.. any trouble dont hesitate to ask!

Dave.

Welcome Meneldil! I started with binoculars too, had my scope a few months ago now and it has been a fantastic journey :) Any help ask away, there's plenty of sub forums where regulars can give you brilliant advice.

All the best, clear skies

Archived