NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ6 Tuning...

daz

Well, I have decided to give the mount a tune up ready for the new season.

Plan is:

1. Install new bearings everywhere

2. Have the housing mating faces polished clean and flat

3. And of course, some lovely new grease everywhere

So, is there anything else that I should/could be doing while in bits?

Has anyone had WS2 lubricant applied? If so, is it worth it?

Has anyone done the latitude adjustment mod, and again, is it worth it?

(Also posted on EQ6 group)

Ta

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can only comment on the Latitude bolt replacement - ironically, having replaced mine as a precautionary measure, I discovered that the originals were in perfect condition but without doubt the Astro Development replacements are superb and operate very smoothly indeed.

Good luck with the strip-down and tuning.

I have those already Steve, but there is mention "on the grapevine" of an alternate mod that involves replacing the three set screws underneath the "EQ6" cover plate.....

I think just checking the lubrication between the motors and worms is probably enough. There are two silver screws on the motor housing that allow access to a little peep hole to check.

Also, checking backlash and proper gear mesh is probably worth doing....

This stripdown is the most major as it involves removing bearings and worms and stuff, but once done, should not need doing again.

When I do this, I will document and photograph everything so others can follow.....

Have the bearings, have the grease, have the gloves and a man to clean all the bits for me.... :)

Ah! Mini Daz. gainfully employed.

I sincerely hope you are paying him the going rate mind you.:)

By the way, what's the mileage on this mount. Is a major service due, or do you just feel it needs doing?

Ron.:headbang:

Daz - there is an 'upgrade' which invloves drilling out and retapping the set screws for the altitude adjustment. I dont know whether its worth it as I only have the HEQ5 (poorly paid civil servant you see :) )

The upgrade you mean might be this one shown here Welcome to Stonyhill Observatory...Dedicated to CCD and DSLR Based Astrophotography on step 28.

If you put the guide online please let me know and I'll add a link to my HEQ5 strip down guide.

@Ron - I got this mount 2nd hand as a standard EQ6, which I then upgraded with SynScan. I've had it about 2 years now, and it was at least that when I bought it. I am finding that even after careful polar alignment, it "jumps" so that even a 60 second exposure shows movement. I figured it was time!!

@Mel - yep that's the one! Although Stonyhill calls it Azimuth adjustment (that confoosed me for a bit!!). Also, found a company called Astro Rubylith that do the spacers and have just produced a DVD for hyper-tuning, that includes this mod as well. They also do replacement gears, but you can get them in this country OK. The spacers I have not been able to find a UK based supplier for.

The project will certainly go on-line for others to use and follow

Just finished a hypertune on mine, RA only as I did the DEC last year. I replaced the worm bearings only as the thrust bearings etc do little work, they were checked for wear and play then regreased. One thing I advise you todo is the grub screws that adjust the mesh have a point on them these need to be ground flat to make adjustment easier and smoother (this was advice from my retired engineer neighbour :) )

He also made me a little tool for turning the worm shaft when doing adjustments (rather than making your thumb sore feeling for the bite point) this is basicly a brass tube that was crimped to fit the flat on the worm shaft. Using this method its possible todo the gear mesh adjustment with the mount fully loaded.

post-13224-133877385361_thumb.jpg

No more sore fingers and thumbs :headbang:

Shims were also replaced as they have a tendancy to fall to bits when you open the mount up, I had to add an extra 4 thou to get a perfect mesh, I do have a high spot on the big brass gear, this we verified by using a special tool he had (2 dimensional caliper). No matter how much time I spend adjusting the mesh it binds at this high point :) if I slacken of just enough to get past this point it introduces too much backlash elsewhere).

For the time being I have rotated the gear so it falls between my viewing limits on the mount and this seems to have worked, the only other option is to lap the gears in (not brave enough for that :) )

OK, I have completed the first part of the strip down. You can see all the images at Picasa Web Albums - Daz - Mount

Over the next 10/12 days I shall be having the worms and gears ultrasonically cleaned and the mating faces of the body and worm housings polished of all the hand applied paint. This will help in ensuring square alignment.

Overnight, everything has been soaking in "Gunk!" for degreasing, and I shall wash these off and dry them today, and remove the worm gear bearings. I realised yesterday that I do not have replacements for these bearings, but they will be here on my return from holidays in a couple of weeks.

One thing to remember to do is to square off the end of the worm adjustment screws - this is reported to give better contact and smoother adjustment when meshing the worms and gears.

Anyway, have a perusal of the pictures. Eventually, these will be on my (as yet to be done) website with a full narrative.....

Wow, I really enjoyed the show and I look forward to the next episode!

Also I would be interested in any data you may have that will show improvements after this procedure.

Best wishes,

Paul

@Ron - A direct result of Rubbish on telly!! They're in the conservatory at the mo, while we paint the hall and find a new unit..

@Paul - will do. I got a PE curve recorded before I stripped it down, so will of course do a comparison after.

@Mel - you only have to look at it and it spreads everywhere!

Today I washed off all the degreaser and got the bearings out of the worm gears, ready for the major clean of the worm and worm gears. The existing bearings definitely have a couple of gritty points in them, so will look forward to replacing them on the rebuild.

• 1 year later...

Take a look here EQ6/Atlas DEC Axis Stripdown

In the 2nd picture of the strip down on that page you can see a round black plug with two small holes in it. Those are the cap covers for worm ends. Just next to it is a small silver screw - that is an inspection hole to see the edge of the motor gear.

You could probably get some grease into it - not sure if I would reccomend that because depending on what grease is already in the mount you could cause problems.

Generally speaking unless you are fairly mechanically minded I'd advise against messing with these mounts - especially the EQ6 as it can be a perisher to take to bits.

• 1 year later...
Well, I have decided to give the mount a tune up ready for the new season.

Plan is:

1. Install new bearings everywhere

2. Have the housing mating faces polished clean and flat

3. And of course, some lovely new grease everywhere

So, is there anything else that I should/could be doing while in bits?

Has anyone had WS2 lubricant applied? If so, is it worth it?

Has anyone done the latitude adjustment mod, and again, is it worth it?

(Also posted on EQ6 group)

Ta

I just received some WS2 grease this morning and I have some powder coming from the US later this week. Just tried a few simple tests on some metal items and it feels like good stuff.

Plan to do my ASGT RA axis with it, did the Dec axis with teflon grease. If it works as good as i think it will then I'll redo the Dec axis too

I just received some WS2 grease this morning and I have some powder coming from the US later this week. Just tried a few simple tests on some metal items and it feels like good stuff.

Plan to do my ASGT RA axis with it, did the Dec axis with teflon grease. If it works as good as i think it will then I'll redo the Dec axis too

Quickie question, I have stripped the RA access cleaned and disassembled the worm etc. I notice that the CG5 worm bearings seem to be 13x6x5mm (MR686?) - has anyone noticed any improvements by replacing the stock bearings with premium bearings?

Archived