Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Newcomer needs your help.

totalamateur

Hi,

I am a newcomer to the forum and astronomy, apart from having an interest in it as a child.

(life must have taken over).

I have purchased some equipment and have experienced some difficulty in setting up and alligning my eqatorial mount, and also have no idea of where to look in the night sky. I have heard that star parties are a good thing to attend because they allow you to meet other amateur astronomers and pick up tips.

Does anyone know of any that are scheduled?, or are there any knowledgable people Living in or near central london who would be willing to give me hands on experience in useing the equipment?. I am aware that London is not the best place for viewing, but I have purchased a house in inland southern Spain which is located near the top of a small mountain. My intention is to spend a considerable part of the year in Spain when the work on the house has been completed. I also intend to purchase a large reflector (14" - 16") or 7" - 8" Intes Micro catadioptic at a future date, to accompany my refractor.

Regards, Ray

My equipment is as follows;

127mm f/7.5 ED APO triplet-2" Crayford focuser

William optics 3mm SPL (1.25”) 55 degree

William optics 4mm EWAN 1.25. 82 degree

William optics 6mm SPL (1.25”) 55 degree

William optics 7mm EWAN (1.25”). 82deg

No name 12.5mm Plossle (1.25”)

William optics 16mm EWAN (1.25”). 82deg

William optics 33mm SWAN (2") 72 degree

William optics 40mm SWAN (2”) 72 degree

Series 500 40mm plossle (1.25”)

William optics 2” 45 degree Erecting Prism and 1.25” adaptor

Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom eyepiece.

2” mirror Diagonal with 1.25” adaptor

EQ5 mount with 2" stainless steel tripod.

Tele Optic "Giro III TV" (RED) azimuth mount.

Hi and welcome to SGL, Ray. :)

Have you tried doing a websearch for directions? They're out there, and quite easy to understand. My CG5 was purchased used, and didn't come with a manual or any directions. In fact i'd never even seen a GEM till i owned one, but the online directions were very simple and easy to follow. Wish i'd have kept the URLs. Try Google, that's how i located them.

Hi. Ray,

Well you made a good decision in joining SGL, lots of help available here. Novice you may be, but you have a great selection of equipment, and the Spain venture sounds wonderful.

I hope it all comes to fruition for you.

Good Luck.

Ron.:)

Archived