Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Ideas

jackermann

Hi

There are some forwarded ideas that i strongly do not agree with.

1. Big bang.

The universe is full of gloing stars consisting mainly of hydrogen. There is no explosion that would result in an universe full of hydrogen.

The explosion would have caused an universe looking like a hollow ball because of the beginning and end of an explosion.

All the galaxies in our vicinity would be moving in the same direction and almost the same speed away from the point of explosion.

Next time i will submit more things i disagree with

Greetings

Johan Ackermann:)

Hello Johan and welcome to SGL.

Like many people you are thinking along the lines of an explosion that started the universe. Instead think of it as a "Big expansion", in this way there is no centre and no one direction.

Think of it as a perfectly spherical (or possibly saddle shaped :) ) baloon (no seam or inflation hole) with white points on it. The white points (much like galaxies) expand away from each other as the baloon inflates, but looking at the surface area there is no "centre" of expansion, the space between the white dots expands as the whole thing inflates as a unit. There can be no "centre of the universe".

Anyway, Cosmic Background Radiation (Google it if you've not heard of it, I could never give a decent explaination) pretty much proves that something like a "Big Bang" happened about 13.7 (I think?) billion years ago.

There is an intresting thread on this in the "space science" section. Sorry if this has been explained badly, but the truth is that very few people really understand the current state of our knowledge of the Big Bang. I cectainly don't. :)

Hi Johan,

Welcome to SGL. As others have already explained, the big bang is more of a universal expansion with no central point, do not think of it as an explosion.

I must also disagree with you over the hydrogen as well, it is the most simple element to form under the conditions following the big bang (some 200 seconds and 10,000 light years distance following the opaque era which can be seen with CBR mentioned by James), hydrogen was abundant, there were about 9 hydrogen atoms for each helium atom, a few deuterium and lithium atoms formed and that was it (there is still some argument over the amount of lithium that should have formed to how much there is, but that's for another day).

Steve

Next time i will submit more things i disagree with

Sounds like fun :)

I disagree with Parking fines, geriatric drivers, racists, white chocolate, and marmite.

When your post title said "New ideas", I thought you had some? It'd be nice to have another qualified astro-physicist around.

Cheers

TJ

Sounds like fun :)

I disagree with Parking fines, geriatric drivers, racists, white chocolate, and marmite.

Cheers

TJ

Whatcha got against Marmite!!!??? It's one of the things I like best about the UK and I eat it straight out of the jar! (Don't tell Michigoose :) )

Dana

Welcome to SGL, Johan!

I disagreed with the Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act, but they passed it anyway...

Dana

Smoot-Hawley what? That's set everyone (including me) off on a Google search!

L

qualified astro-physicist....will a physics/astronomy degree do? :-)

as steve (PAXO) has said, the big bang did create the H/He/Li

in fact the most triumphant prediction of the big bang was the relative abundances of the light elements.

also the big bang has no location in space....it created space. For there to be a centre there had to be a co-ordinate system already there, but there wasnt as the big bang created space in which to base a co-ordinate system.

the universe has no centre, and no edge.

also the universe is homogenous and isotropic....the same everywhere and in all directions. This would not be the case if there was a central point to the expansion.

welcome to sgl

paul

Archived