Scope respray!

Arrghh. my 6" newt has now got scratches all down one side as it got dragged accross the Sheds work bench!!! :D. I;m gonna respray her I think.. I know some of you have done this, did you just go for car spray paint cans or was it Hammerite smooth from a tin?.

Cheers

Rob

I've never done it myself, although i have researched the methods as im not too keen on the skywatcher champagne on my ED100. Just a sandpaper rub down to key the old paint and use a few coats of automative spraypaint. Dont forget to remove or (very carefully) cover components you dont want spraying like the lens cell/mirror and focuser.

Its bad James... all the way through to metal. :x

Gordon - I would stip the whole lot down. I'm thinking Hammerite smooth with a mini roller. It should be ok (I hope)

Rob,

Use P1000 or even P1200 wet n dry rubbing down paper matey pref with water and just a touch of washing up liquid. After this use 9 parts water and 1 part turps to clean the excess off After washing down the tube with soapy water, then re-do the washing process.

If the tube feels like it has some dent's left over from the scratches then the use of body filler will be needed the best way is to use a fine filler ask you local Garage for this "Stopper" it's called and repeat the first wash down of the scope!

Spray a Primer similar to what your original scope colour is the coat your tube with at least 3 coats of Paint(Get a colour match from your local Paint sprayer, these will havea computer which samples your colour needed and will match it up 100 percent). When applying the Paint use dust coats as to avoid any runs in the finish and you MUST keep everything even.

Hope that helps.

James

Archived