Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dark sky sites West London

Athena

Hi All, 

I have recently moved toward London (Bracknell). I have been scouting out some locations just south of Aldershot and Farnham. Hankley Common car park looks okay and there's a National trust carpark slightly east of it also worth a look. Going to take look on Sunday evening. Also further is Iping Common which is designated a "darksky" site. And another National trust carpark "Woolbeding Countryside"

Hopefully i'll be able to report back if I manage to get out Sunday

If you following the map down you need to get to south of Chiddingfold to get to over 21 SQM, which would will give new targets to see.

Not tried Hankley common, but planning on looking at south of Haslemere as the SQM gets to around 21.3 and its 30 minutes from where I live.

Hankley is a little closer to me, so maybe a good idea to give it a go as well.

• Like 1

Would be good to collate sites between sw London and the South Downs park (which has been fully SQM surveyed), so we can identify closer dark places. SQM data is best to allow for comparisons.

Peter

29 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Would be good to collate sites between sw London and the South Downs park (which has been fully SQM surveyed), so we can identify closer dark places. SQM data is best to allow for comparisons.

Peter

Collate sites and maybe ground truth, e.g. iPhone app?

2 hours ago, Stu said:

@whooshbang I’m up in Walton on Thames, and we occasionally use Ranmore Common which is about 40 mins from you, and a site near Bignor which is about an hour and a quarter from you and is mag 21.3 ish on a decent night.

That's brilliant thanks! Plenty of car parks around Ranmore Common according to google maps. Bignor looks okay... bit of a jaunt though.

Thanks again for all your comments. most welcome!

Dark and close, easier to get one or the other. I’d suggest SQM data unless the app has been checked to ensure the numbers returned are correct. I’m hopeful we’ll find some sheltered location that is surprisingly good and easy to get to… the holy grail.

Peter

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Dark and close, easier to get one or the other. I’d suggest SQM data unless the app has been checked to ensure the numbers returned are correct. I’m hopeful we’ll find some sheltered location that is surprisingly good and easy to get to… the holy grail.

Peter

Close in time to travel and distance are obviously not the same. I think there is a location which is south of the A3 around Haslemere, looking a the light pollution maps. 

Near Bignor, the roads are slow out there as noted. I'll keep digging, we after 21.3 SQM or is 21 SQM enough?

19 minutes ago, whooshbang said:

That's brilliant thanks! Plenty of car parks around Ranmore Common according to google maps. Bignor looks okay... bit of a jaunt though.

Thanks again for all your comments. most welcome!

This car park is the one we use and is very convenient. Easy to carry kit through the gate and setup on the field. Not sure we took an SQM reading but the MW was quite clear from there even on a not particularly good night.

Bignor is a trek, but proper dark I would say. Between the two it’s a decent choice depending on journey time I’m you want to deal with and how dark you want it.

8A271A1A-BC87-4A9E-A122-02F12FBD0380.png

8 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

Close in time to travel and distance are obviously not the same. I think there is a location which is south of the A3 around Haslemere, looking a the light pollution maps. 

Near Bignor, the roads are slow out there as noted. I'll keep digging, we after 21.3 SQM or is 21 SQM enough?

21 is pretty decent. Obviously the higher the better but convenience counts too. Bignor is a bumpy road at the end, and is quite exposed if it’s windy.

We’ve been looking for quite a long time and these two keep coming back, not sure Peter’s holy grail exists..... but like the ‘real’ thing I guess... 🤣

12 minutes ago, Stu said:

21 is pretty decent. Obviously the higher the better but convenience counts too. Bignor is a bumpy road at the end, and is quite exposed if it’s windy.

We’ve been looking for quite a long time and these two keep coming back, not sure Peter’s holy grail exists..... but like the ‘real’ thing I guess... 🤣

Where is you starting point,  West End Village? Thursley common is around 5 mins more travel time than Ranmoor and the SQM is just under 21, plus the car park you can walk straight out onto a field. Its 5 minutes off the A3.

I'll see how dark its really is.

Edited by Deadlake

6 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

Where is you starting point,  West End Village? Thursley common is around 5 mins more travel time than Ranmoor and the SQM is just under 21, plus the car park you can walk straight out onto a field. Its 5 minutes off the A3.

I'll see how dark its really is.

Check it out and let us know. Where is the car park, can’t find it immediately on Google. Straight down A3 is definitely easier than Ranmore so could be good.

57 minutes ago, Stu said:

Looks good, short walk past the trees.

I reckon set up straight out of the boot of the car. looks pretty open and i can't stand lugging kit too far from the motor. Plus i like to keep an eye on the car and use it for a comfy flask of tea. 

I 'm gonna check it out Sunday.

8 minutes ago, whooshbang said:

I reckon set up straight out of the boot of the car. looks pretty open and i can't stand lugging kit too far from the motor. Plus i like to keep an eye on the car and use it for a comfy flask of tea. 

I 'm gonna check it out Sunday.

I'm might go over sooner, have some stuff for the tip at Milford. I think we have 3 car parks within 5 minutes of each over so will do a drive by.

4 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

I'm might go over sooner, have some stuff for the tip at Milford. I think we have 3 car parks within 5 minutes of each over so will do a drive by.

awesome!

perhaps snap a photo of the view south? 

if it's clear or patchy cloud i'll be there Sunday night

got new gear to try out so i'll happily dodge a few clouds to capture some light

Thursley area looks good, also maybe arbor chiddongford,  woolbeding common, S of Blackdown may also be worth looking for places with the right logistics and views that can then be measured at night.

Peter

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Thursley area looks good, also maybe arbor chiddongford,  woolbeding common, S of Blackdown may also be worth looking for places with the right logistics and views that can then be measured at night.

Peter

Have you got a light meter or using your iPhone to measure. Has @GavStar got one?

We’ve all got SQM-L, although there is a phone app that claims to do the same I am not sure how accurate it is, my old phone didn’t give good results, but then it’s camera is almost blind at night.

Peter

On 29/04/2021 at 13:07, PeterW said:

We’ve all got SQM-L, although there is a phone app that claims to do the same I am not sure how accurate it is, my old phone didn’t give good results, but then it’s camera is almost blind at night.

Peter

Could i ask which SQM's you all use? Thinking of getting one, as i understand it they have different FOV.... which one is generally the best?

I See FLO sell this one... Unihedron SQM-L Sky Quality Meter with lens | First Light Optics

Thanks

Edited by whooshbang
typo and link added