SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Dark sky sites West London

Athena

1 hour ago, whooshbang said:

Could i ask which SQM's you all use? Thinking of getting one, as i understand it they have different FOV.... which one is generally the best?

I See FLO sell this one... Unihedron SQM-L Sky Quality Meter with lens | First Light Optics

Thanks

As Peter says, SQM-L is the one I have. The narrower fov allows you to check in different areas of the sky which I find useful.

On 29/04/2021 at 10:59, Deadlake said:

I'm might go over sooner, have some stuff for the tip at Milford. I think we have 3 car parks within 5 minutes of each over so will do a drive by.

I went to Thursley site last night but it was closed due to military training. I proceeded to Puttenham top carpark which is big and open. The photo is a south facing view. Unfortunately the heavy cloud moved in and bailed out. Definitely worth another look. 

puttenham top carpark.jpg

1 hour ago, whooshbang said:

I went to Thursley site last night but it was closed due to military training. I proceeded to Puttenham top carpark which is big and open. The photo is a south facing view. Unfortunately the heavy cloud moved in and bailed out. Definitely worth another look. 

puttenham top carpark.jpg

https://elsteadvillage.co.uk/elstead-military-land/
Peter

31 minutes ago, PeterW said:

I wonder if Frensham carpark is left open? Puttenham feels a bit close to Guildford.

Peter

I'm gonna ride the bike down to Frensham car park today. I'll let you know (if i don't get lost)

Thanks for link about Hankley/Thursley common.

12 hours ago, PeterW said:

I wonder if Frensham carpark is left open? Puttenham feels a bit close to Guildford.

Peter

The Fresnham big pond car park does indeed close at 9 pm, however you can park further up and walk across to one of the main paths. The little pond car park is open 24 hours however you have to walk around the mound.  Its a little cross country to get there, I'd look at Blackdown the other side of Haslemere.

If you are going that far you can travel on a little further to Bramshot common. 

Edited by Deadlake
  • Like 1

As someone who has driven up and down the A3 too many times to remember I would guess somewhere north of Liss and south of the Hindhead tunnel would be best. When driving up from the south I notice the sky starts to get noticeably brighter once you are through the tunnel heading north.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Flat but you have to walk some way to getaway from the trees, shame as 20.89

Blocked off at present:

This one looks promising, SQM 20.99, just a five minute walk, still need to see if any views are any good, ran out of time when visited:

Not visited the site yet, might be easier access:

Edited by Deadlake
  • Like 1

The other option is Albury Health car park

https://goo.gl/maps/pQxVkMQoSdzTnJNh9

Around 20.5 SQM and 22 minutes from Esher Common.

Final site I’ll check is here

Thursley Common Main Car Park
https://goo.gl/maps/BNonT7uPxm1sLhf76

SQM 20.89 however I suspect the views will be obscured with trees.

Abouth 30 minutes from Esher Common, however I don’t believe the estimate in this case.

1 minute ago, Deadlake said:

The other option is Albury Health car park

Albert Heath and Newlands Corner are are quite well known spots, used by Guildford AS amongst others I think.

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

Albert Heath and Newlands Corner are are quite well known spots, used by Guildford AS amongst others I think.

Interesting, never knew GAS met up there. I thought GAS used Pewley Downs.

Someone mentioned Painshill Park, Hatchlands maybe another option?

Newlamds corner is a little limiting if you want to look north.

Edited by Deadlake

6 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

Interesting, never knew GAS met up there. I thought GAS used Pewley Downs.

Someone mentioned Painshill Park, Hatchlands maybe another option?

Newlamds corner is a little limiting if you want to look north.

They may do now, they used the two I mentioned when I was a member a long time ago.