Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ladies : Wow a hobby with ladies and pretty ones too

Catanonia

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...that treats its members with respect and equality...

Actually, most astronomy forums are pretty good regarding sexism, but i think all of them have a few members who step over the line too often and make it uncomfortable for most women. We had a bit of a hurdle with that here, too. Before our 'no sexism' rule was put into effect, there were random remarks being made, and some quite tasteless 'jokes' posted in the Lounge, too. Not many, mind you, but enough.

Surprisingly, at the same time, some of the members were wondering why more women weren't joining... yeah:rolleyes:, go figure. TBH, if the 'Gentlemen' members would have openly objected to the trashy content, i don't think the rule would have been necessary. But all's well that ends well.:)

Speaking of buying a red torch, i've experienced just the opposite here. The Gents in the local hardware store are extremely respectful, no matter what i need, and they get a kick out of learning about the equipment, too. You should have seen them gather round when i brought the CG5 in for a replacement T-bolt, lol.

Another time, i needed a small counterweight for the 80ST but nothing they had was a good fit. One of the Gents took me over to the fishing section (huh?) and handed me a 5 pound lead ingot used to make sinkers. Worked just fine after i drilled a hole in it. :headbang:

Just a guess, but deep down inside I think men and women get into astronomy for very different reasons.

All women like shiny, sparkly, pretty things.

All men want to be astronauts.

Fact.

(runs and hides)

I'm trying to think of polite way of saying,what a load of garbage,but i cant.

I think men and women get into astronomy because they're interested in astronomy,period.In case you haven't noticed there are a awful lot of men here who seem to like shiny, pretty (expensive)things.

a genuine interest in astronomy is absolutely necessary... the number of frustrating nights I have gone through would be enough to make someone give up if they didn't have true passion for the subject.

Let's just embrace the differences and be glad we are members of a forum where we are all equally valued for our contributions and experience. :)

My main hobby is astronomy.. but then I have be known to do a bit of knitting... I love gardening... and I enjoy fiddling around with my computer quite a lot. Go figure.

Yup - me too. Really, I have been known to knit on occasion. Go figure.

Quite comfy sometimes really, means one can relax the guard a bit!

Arthur

Yea, that's the vibe I got from the <runs and hides> bit :)

Oh i got the vibe alright,so is it ok to if i make a stereotypical/sexist joke/comment but put a winking smilie to make it alright?

Ok here goes .A woman goes into a telescope shop and asks for a :):evil6::headbang::evil6: only joking.

I can't knit, I think my fingers are too fat. I have tried though, I am amazed that my wife is able to produce wonderful mohair scarves with glass beads knitted (?) in seemingly without looking whilst watching the TV and having a conversation at the same time!

(I do make exceedingly good cakes mind you, and my real name is NOT Kipling. I must admit I have had the occasional sarky comments about that from time to time. They soon come back for another slice though!)

I am absolutely fantastic at knitting scarves which start out one width and end up another and have interesting holes in them. I like to think of my creations as post-modern deconstructed scarves. They have character. You can wrap them around your head and still see through them. :)

Next star party wingman, perhaps you could make us some cakes :) Once I get going with knitting, I'm away, but I find starting off hard. Once I get into a rhythm, I'm fine :)Your wife sounds like a knitting connoisseur, I can just about manage basic scarves that always seem to be too short!

What cakes are your specialty?

Oh i got the vibe alright,so is it ok to if i make a stereotypical/sexist joke/comment but put a winking smilie to make it alright?

Ok here goes .A woman goes into a telescope shop and asks for a :):evil6::headbang::evil6: only joking.

I was, in fact, being ironic. Sorry if it was mis-understood, or taken as something else!

I do want to hear the rest of the joke, though....

I may be a bit late for this forum, but as regards sexism, I've been in some really male dominated enviroments, the Army being the most :) I also worked as an outdoor ed instructor for quite a few years and often will do the odd day to help a friend out well when I met my wife she was a surfing and climbing instructor in North Cornwall she beats me hands down surfing, has matched and surpassed me climbing and has a degree from Cambridge. I often smile as unfortunate sales assistants in surfing/climbing shops assume I am the main purchaser, they are soon shown the error or their ways and often gaps in their technical knowledge are gently highlighted. Flip side of this is.... I do what I'm told

Neil

Lemon drizzle is a particular fave with my erstwhile colleagues in the office. Personally I don't think you can go wrong with a good old-fashioned fruit cake (and yes Sybil, that probably is a rather apt description of me!) If you want stars on it I'm sure I can oblige.

My multi-talented missus has a website here which shows the various things she gets up to (well, most of them!)

Come to think of it thats probably why I never see her. (I'm not sure but I think her tiaras that she knits out of wire are probably unique)

Archived