Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

18" Dob Mods - you have to see this

albedo0.39

Message to self:- "got a long way to go..."

I thought Doc had the most modded scope out there, but...

18" Obsession Dob Mod

PS - "He often has

little time for observing. "

No I think Calibos will have when it is finally revealed.

As for the 18" Dob man. To be truthful I think it's ugly, way to much bling for me. I'm more of KISS man.

One thing I do like the Insulated coffee mug idea :)

Don't even have to click the linky to know what scope you guys are talking about. Its the one with the Borg on the UTA isn't it! :)

Mine won't be quite as extreme as that! :D I certainly got a few ideas from that scope though. I can't say he went OTT with the functionality because tbh I think I'll have much the same accepting a simple JMI TNT drive instead of the uber cool servocat and I won't have a heated coffee mug :) However I can't help but think he would have been better served installing all the stuff more discretely. I know a Lightbridge is technically an older design of scope than an Obsession. ie. its more akin to the simple historical John Dobson mounts while an Obsession is a more more modern Kriege&Berry design, but because the Obsession is made of beautiful varnished wood it looks more 'old fashioned' as it were. More like a piece of beautiful furniture. Having all that stuff stuck all over it ruins the look for me.

Ironically, although the more 'modern looking' Lightbridge would lend itself more to hanging tech gadgets off the side of the rockerbox, I actually wanted stuff to blend in more. To look like they belonged. ie. I only installed the functionality I wanted as long as I could do it aesthetically.

So No. My LB16 won't be the most heavily modded scope in the world but will probably be the most heavily modded Lightbridge in the world. You wouldn't believe when you see it that I had the KISS principle in mind when planning it. Thats because I wasn't using the Kiss principle in terms of modding the scope as little as possible and only doing the mods that were absolutely essential. Instead I decided what functionality I wanted and planned everything so that it is as 'Simple' and as quick as possible to set up the scope and start observing and seeing objects with the mirrors performing at 100% from the off. And also a simple breakdown at the end of the night...while maintaining the aesthetic I wanted. So it certainly wasn't KISS in terms of planning and installing all the mods but will be KISS in use. A lot of work up front modding the thing, but arguably as quick a setup and breakdown as a small newt on a GEM

Archived