Issue with my Ioptron CEM 120 (Oil leak??).........

Hi there, over the last few imaging sessions I've had on occasion, my Ioptron mount would throw out some very erratic guide graphs on my RA axis, which would completely mess up the pics I've taken, during daytime, in the light there appears to possibly be what looks like an oil leak (a small one though) on the same axis. I guessing its related, and could be the reason for the issue, I'm having, what's everyone's thoughts on this??  Please see pics attached. Any advice? Anyone had the same/similar issues??

Pic 1.jpg

Pic 2.jpg

Pic 3.jpg

Hmmm, I don’t think it’s an oil leak as there is no oil in the mount anywhere, just some minimal grease on the bearings…

Are you sure it’s not some other liquid got onto the mount and got into the electronics of the RA axis…?

• Like 2

From the guide graph it looks like huge overcorrections, oscillating one way then the other. I think this is typical of striction or binding, I would initially look for any obvious external factors dragging or jammed cables etc. The oil stain could be grease that has partially separated out, this can happen with certain greases possibly temperature related. It could be related but probably not especially if most of the time the mount is behaving normally. 

If you haven't already I would also check all the physical connections between the mount, telescope, guider and guide camera etc just to make sure nothing is loose or flexing. 

• Like 1

1. Change the y-axis to arcsecs, so you can compare the guide errors to the imaging arcsec/pixel.

2. Is RA smooth when Guide Assistant is run, meaning the mount is just tracking ?

3. "RA Osc:  1.00" in red is a leftover from PHD1.

But shows that RA is being driven too hard, as does the RA oscillation.

Or perhaps you are using too-fast exposures ?

Use Minimum Move and exposure settings suggested by the Guide Assistant.

Reduce RA Aggression in steps of 10, observing for a while each time, looking for RA settling down.

Then increase by 10's, until it oscillates again.

Set a middle setting.

Michael

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, michael8554 said:

1. Change the y-axis to arcsecs, so you can compare the guide errors to the imaging arcsec/pixel.

2. Is RA smooth when Guide Assistant is run, meaning the mount is just tracking ?

3. "RA Osc:  1.00" in red is a leftover from PHD1.

But shows that RA is being driven too hard, as does the RA oscillation.

Or perhaps you are using too-fast exposures ?

Use Minimum Move and exposure settings suggested by the Guide Assistant.

Reduce RA Aggression in steps of 10, observing for a while each time, looking for RA settling down.

Then increase by 10's, until it oscillates again.

Set a middle setting.

Michael

Hi Michael,

I will try these settings the next clear night (tonight or sat forecast). Having said that, ive not adjusted my settings in yrs, so why would it start doing it now?

4 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Hi Michael,

I will try these settings the next clear night (tonight or sat forecast). Having said that, ive not adjusted my settings in yrs, so why would it start doing it now?

It could have just been a one off glitch, it does happen, a complete disconnect and reconnect can sometimes sort it, when did you update to the latest 9.13 commander driver..? As I still use 9.11 with my CEM70..?

2 hours ago, Stuart1971 said:

It could have just been a one off glitch, it does happen, a complete disconnect and reconnect can sometimes sort it, when did you update to the latest 9.13 commander driver..? As I still use 9.11 with my CEM70..?

Ive updated the driver about 2 weeks ago.....hand controller and mount. Funny you should say that, its about the time I was starting to have issues.............

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, wavydavy said:

Ive updated the driver about 2 weeks ago.....hand controller and mount. Funny you should say that, its about the time I was starting to have issues.............

Yes, I have Learnt the hard way, Don’t update anything if it’s working fine, especially the firmware in the mount, mine still runs fine on the 2021 firmware it came with, there are a few updates for mine which I just won’t do, as they don’t give me anything extra…same with ASCOM driver 9.11 is fine…👍🏻

• Like 2