AstroCamp September 2024 - Bookings

1 hour ago, Gfamily said:

A well known problem, but it can be done on a phone if you turn it sideways (and allow your screen to rotate) 

I did discover this…..eventually. 

I may attend just for a late get away.

Which pitches have already been taken. I can see a few here but is their an updated list without phoning the campsite Justyn.

As far as I can remember the common isn't totally flat is it? Just wondering about a setup with the dob base?

Cheers 

Edited by mapstar

On 01/09/2024 at 12:10, Pixies said:

You can see which pitches are available when you try to book on the website: https://www.astrocamp.awesomeastronomy.com/

It works better on a PC/laptop rather than a phone. 

The common is slightly sloped, but dobs work fine on it. That's unless you're trying to use an Equatorial platform!

Cheers.

All the common EHU pitches gone.

Be the bottom field if I decide to attend but wouldn't want to set the scope up down there as the views are quite restrictive as far as I remember from visiting the site. 

How many visual observers attend? 

2 hours ago, mapstar said:

Cheers.

Be the bottom field if I decide to attend but wouldn't want to set the scope up down there as the views are quite restrictive as far as I remember from visiting the site. 

You could probably take a couple of door wedges to level a dob base on the common. 

I'd say that most people on the common are visual - the imagers tend to stay closer to their pitch (my impression at least).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mapstar said:

Cheers.

I'm down near the bottom field too. You don't need to be pitched on or near the common, I'll just carry up my gear in the afternoon and leave it there (covered). It's very safe. 

The common is where the visual observers are normally set up. The AP people will set up their gear next to their pitches.

Of course, if it's going to be stormy, you won't want to leave your gear set up on the common, but most leave their stuff there. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Pixies said:

I'm down near the bottom field too. You don't need to be pitched on or near the common, I'll just carry up my gear in the afternoon and leave it there (covered). It's very safe. 

The common is where the visual observers are normally set up. The AP people will set up their gear next to their pitches.

Of course, if it's going to be stormy, you won't want to leave your gear set up on the common, but most leave their stuff 

I guessed that's what most do.

My dob weighs too much to carry up there so would just drop it off with the van.

Cheers guys for the confirmations 

14 minutes ago, mapstar said:

My dob weighs too much to carry up there so would just drop it off with the van.

Ooh. What size? 

Bob the Dob is the organisers' 16" dob, which lives under a tent on the common. 

Most others (including mine) are the normal 8" and 10" ones. Although @Live_Steam_Madkeeps threatening to bring his Hubble Optics UL16!

6 hours ago, Pixies said:

Ooh. What size? 

Bob the Dob is the organisers' 16" dob, which lives under a tent on the common. 

Most others (including mine) are the normal 8" and 10" ones. Although @Live_Steam_Madkeeps threatening to bring his Hubble Optics UL16!

It's  a bit bigger than a 16" 😉 and took me nearly 3 years to build. 

You'll have to pop across for a look. I'm sure Justyn has looked through it before. I guess Jim and Vicky don't attend any more? 

Alistair has had a few good views through it at galloway. 

I must get sorted with holidays at work and book 

Edited by mapstar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, mapstar said:

It's  a bit bigger than a 16" 😉 and took me nearly 3 years to build. 

You'll have to pop across for a look. I'm sure Justyn has looked through it before. I guess Jim and Vicky don't attend any more? 

Alistair has had a few good views through it at galloway. 

I must get sorted with holidays at work and book 

Cool! You can set it up wherever you like and the masses will come to you! 

I assume you'll need a step-ladder!

1 hour ago, Pixies said:

Cool! You can set it up wherever you like and the masses will come to you! 

I assume you'll need a step-ladder!

If there's a slope maybe, as I normally just use a camping step. 

I'm booked in so will see you all there hopefully the weather will be kind. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Pixies said:

Don't forget your dew control!

A very good point. I have packed it. I did forget it on a dark sky trip last month; doh.

10 hours ago, cajen2 said:

Don't forget the AM3, Richard.... 👍

I won't be bringing the AM3 Clive. If I do that I end up needing a heavier tripod, an extension pier, and a bigger power pack. I have found that when observing away from home, less is more. So I will have my all-manual setup. Star hopping will be the order of the day. I want to spend my observing time looking at the stars and chatting to people, not cursing USB leads...

The AM3 is excellent but it's part of my home EAA rig.  If it was likely that we would have all clear nights I might have been tempted but I suspect that fast-deployment shower-dodging will be required.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Richard N said:

fast-deployment shower-dodging will be required

General good point for UK star parties I guess.  Got me thinking that a fully loaded AZ100 on planet tripod with 12" MC isn't usually appropriate for these sessions, especially in Scotland😬

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richard N said:

A very good point. I have packed it. I did forget it on a dark sky trip last month; doh.

I won't be bringing the AM3 Clive. If I do that I end up needing a heavier tripod, an extension pier, and a bigger power pack. I have found that when observing away from home, less is more. So I will have my all-manual setup. Star hopping will be the order of the day. I want to spend my observing time looking at the stars and chatting to people, not cursing USB leads...

The AM3 is excellent but it's part of my home EAA rig.  If it was likely that we would have all clear nights I might have been tempted but I suspect that fast-deployment shower-dodging will be required.

Fair enough!

• Like 1

I couldn’t make it this year and have been rain/clouded out at the previous two visits, so I’m just wondering have the heavens been kind to you folks this year?

Last night was supposed to be clear here in Shropshire, but it never materialised.

45 minutes ago, tomato said:

I couldn’t make it this year and have been rain/clouded out at the previous two visits, so I’m just wondering have the heavens been kind to you folks this year?

Last night was supposed to be clear here in Shropshire, but it never materialised.

Clear last night up until around 2am but there was quite a bit of high wispy cloud making the deep sky objects a challenge.

I managed quite a few targets and after 4 months of not using the scope was great for dusting off the rust. 

Hopefully today will be better than forecast. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, mapstar said:

Clear last night up until around 2am but there was quite a bit of high wispy cloud making the deep sky objects a challenge.

I managed quite a few targets and after 4 months of not using the scope was great for dusting off the rust. 

Hopefully today will be better than forecast. 

🤔 RUST !!!!!!   🥸

• Haha 1

Decided to bail and head home this aft like a few others as there was no clear spells forecast. 

Not far off home now with a services stop to let the worst of the traffic get out of the way.

Good to see afewfamiliar faces and enjoyed it. 

Edited by mapstar
  • Like 2