NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

AstroCamp September 2024 - Bookings

I can feel it in my water*: that this autumn's Astrocamp is going to be 3 day of warm calm and clear weather!

Can't wait. Should hopefully have some new toys too

* - not the water that falls from the sky near-horizontally 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Gfamily said:

Bagged pitch 26, right by the phone box. 

See you all there.

Aha! You got it, did you? I'll be next door on 26b. See you all there, Clive.

Edited by cajen2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi, looking at this post and previous posts, it seems like everyone knows what pitches they want, so I assume you are all regular visitors.

I was thinking about attending a star camp somewhere but a little intimidated by the thought of meeting a bunch of strangers who all seem to know each other already?  So is the event ok for (Shyish) first timers.

Obviously the British weather is the British weather, so does this site cope with rain ok, as I only have a tent?

thanks

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, W0nderste said:

Hi, looking at this post and previous posts, it seems like everyone knows what pitches they want, so I assume you are all regular visitors.

I was thinking about attending a star camp somewhere but a little intimidated by the thought of meeting a bunch of strangers who all seem to know each other already?  So is the event ok for (Shyish) first timers.

Obviously the British weather is the British weather, so does this site cope with rain ok, as I only have a tent?

thanks

This is the only star party I've been to. I've been to 4 of them since spring 2022 and I feel like I've made loads of friends there. And I'm hardly Mr Party!

It is very welcoming to newbies (astronomy generally, or just astrocamp attendance) and the social side of it seems as important as the actual star-gazing! For evenings when the weather isn't conducive, most folks end up in the big gazebos on the common for a drink and a chat. I think some come mainly for that, anyway!

But if the skies are good, the visual observers are all on the common. Everyone shares their scopes - I would say I spend only about 25% of my time using my own gear!  

As for weather: until last spring I would have said that it's nothing to worry about. But Storm Katherine (I think) hit and it was very VERY wet, and some of the lower pitches got very muddy. So if you want to be safe, stick to the pitches in the 20s and 30s.. Hopefully after a summer, the ground will be a LOT drier.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, W0nderste said:

thanks

+1 for what Pixies said - we were all first timers once.

12 hours ago, W0nderste said:

thanks

I'm even less, "Mr Party" than Pixies and this is my fourth Astrocamp in four years. Bear in mind it's a gathering of maybe 40 or so astro nerds not a rave 😀

Last Autumn the weather was dire and I believe last Spring was too (I only go to Autumn events). So be prepared for wet weather. However if we're lucky and get good nights then the trip is well worth it for a city dweller.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, W0nderste said:

thanks

Echo what others have said, I make the long, long journey from just South of Norwich to Cwmdu, think my first was in 2016.

Many visual observers will set up on 'the common' and share their views, with other 'common'ers'. It really is a friendly, welcoming group. 

Most have only a tent, so as long as you have somewhere at home afterwards to dry it out from the 'liquid sunshine' (it is Wales after all), you'll be fine. If not used for a while, perhaps a going over with Nickwax or what ever proofer you have might be a good idea?

See you on the common!

Chris

• Like 1

On 19/07/2024 at 16:44, reddoss said:

The bookings for Astrocamp, held at Cwmdu in the Brecon beacons from the 28th September to the 1st October,  will open at 12.00 this Sunday 21st July. 

Here is the website https://www.astrocamp.awesomeastronomy.com/   

Cheers,

Justyn

Same pitch as last time, perhaps in same row as you?

IMG_0230.JPG

A reminder that if you've got battery packs or phones that need recharging there are people with EHU that'll do that for you. 

Edit: I think there may be some spare sockets in the Washing up area too, if not elsewhere. 

Edited by Gfamily

6 minutes ago, W0nderste said:

Is the camp private to the astronomy group?  Is it safe to leave telescopes up (weather permitting)

will have a go on my PC but couldn't sign up on my phone

Yes, it has always been safe to leave telescopes up - whether outside your tent/van etc or on the 'common'. There is always the risk of rain, so some kind of waterproof cover - but some people take their scope under the gazebos we use for talks etc. 

Some people have problems completing the transaction on their phones - it sometimes works to hold it sideways, as there is one place where the main action is on the left of the screen, but the button to continue is on the right. But certainly do try on your PC. 

If you're a Facebook user, there is a very friendly AstroCamp Facebook group - where you can get directly in touch with the organisers. 

Will be great to see you there.  

16 minutes ago, W0nderste said:

Is the camp private to the astronomy group?  Is it safe to leave telescopes up (weather permitting)

will have a go on my PC but couldn't sign up on my phone

The campsite is reserved for Astrocamp. All lights are off and the toilet block has only dim red lights. The council turn off the nearby street lights. 

There are a few permanent caravans near the common with owners who can still attend - but they know the score and keep their lights off.

8 minutes ago, W0nderste said:

Thanks, I saw the FB group, but I generally don't post on public groupd

You can post anonymously if you prefer - though that will mean that admins can't DM you back.  It's an option anyway!