NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

One for the planetary imagers who have managed to capture detail on Jupiter's moons

Ags

In a previous comment on a thread regarding the size of the senzor vs a better picture , I had had declare my long term goal to be a 5.5" refractor with a digital Hasselblad camera back. I have just updated my long term goal. 

Incredible. I wonder did they take 100 hrs of video and picked the best 500 frames from it, and is that even possible if the landscape is changing so rapidly?

1 minute ago, Ags said:

Here are the capture details: quite short sequences actually:

image.png.aab7c4cf4d29bff5a6f0f0b153ba7da7.png

I note they use a water-cooled CMOS that can go up to 1000 FPS if they restrict the ROI.

I had a look at the paper and very small amount of stacked frames. I would love to see the raw images.

4 minutes ago, Ags said:

Here are the capture details: quite short sequences actually:

image.png.aab7c4cf4d29bff5a6f0f0b153ba7da7.png

I note they use a water-cooled CMOS that can go up to 1000 FPS if they restrict the ROI.

I had a look at the paper and very small amount of stacked frames. I would love to see the raw images.

They discarded 92% of frames from the first run and 96% from the second. And the frames are quite long - 10ms and 5ms in the second run. I thought they would be far shorter!

2 minutes ago, Kon said:

Very curious what it can pull out for Ganymede.

I want to see what they can do with asteroids and TNOs, which are on their target list.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ags said:

They discarded 92% of frames from the first run and 96% from the second. And the frames are quite long - 10ms and 5ms in the second run. I thought they would be far shorter!

Most of us do around 10ms for Jupiter as it gives better noise to signal ratio. Going too fast sometimes is not that beneficial. I used to go for fast FPS but Geoff and Neil had done some nice experimentation here to change my thinking.

4 minutes ago, Kon said:

Most of us do around 10ms for Jupiter as it gives better noise to signal ratio.

I thought the pros might do something radically different. I do 10ms as my laptop can't hit high frame rates for some reason...

11 minutes ago, Kon said:

I used to go for fast FPS but Geoff and Neil had done some nice experimentation here to change my thinking.

Interesting.  Do you have link please?

3 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

I told you to get some bins... 🤣

I put this post in Lounge as there is no Binoculars - Imaging section :) 

48 minutes ago, fireballxl5 said:

Interesting.  Do you have link please?

You will need to go to the planetary imaging section and look back in 2022 posts. Sorry no link.

Edited by Kon

38 minutes ago, Ags said:

I thought the pros might do something radically different. I do 10ms as my laptop can't hit high frame rates for some reason...

Even at 10ms I still get 150-200ms with tight ROI.

6 hours ago, Kon said:

Even at 10ms I still get 150-200ms with tight ROI.

You mean FPS? Surely you can’t get more than 100 FPS with 10 ms frames?

7 hours ago, Ags said:

You mean FPS? Surely you can’t get more than 100 FPS with 10 ms frames?

Yes my bad, sorry. Ooops!....100fps. I was thinking of something else when I typed the value.

• Like 1