Dwarf 3 smart telescope

The RumInt (rumor intelligence) is that ZWO is working on a 35mm version of the SeeStar priced at under $350 USD and possibly under $200 USD. If they do come out with it in my opinion it is aimed squarely at Dwarf Labs and is meant to kill them off. Personally I am waiting on the rumored 80mm SeeStar with a better sensor. That is my idea of a darn fine bit of kit and good engineering. SeeStar, Dwarf, and even the other players are really revolutionizing the market space. So the more options the better!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have just taken the plunge and ordered one of these while it is still on the reduced 'pre-order' price. I've chosen this one as it is small enough to pack into my camera bag and so can potentially travel with me abroad if I am going to somewhere with dark skies - I normally just take a small pair of binoculars.

I'm also interested in the potential for daytime use - both panoramas and bird tracking/photography. 

• Like 2

On 03/07/2024 at 12:09, Shimrod said:

I have just taken the plunge and ordered one of these while it is still on the reduced 'pre-order' price. I've chosen this one as it is small enough to pack into my camera bag and so can potentially travel with me abroad if I am going to somewhere with dark skies - I normally just take a small pair of binoculars.

I'm also interested in the potential for daytime use - both panoramas and bird tracking/photography. 

I've joined you Shimrod; waiting for September should be a nice little surprise just as the sky is getting darker. 

Jim 

11 hours ago, saac said:

I've joined you Shimrod; waiting for September should be a nice little surprise just as the sky is getting darker. 

Jim 

I am hoping mine turns up in time for a trip to Iceland in October, but reading a thread over on cloudy nights it sounds like there are a lot of pre-orders - so it might be a while before FLO have enough stock to fulfil all orders.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was just looking at a vendor's site yesterday.  I'm tempted, but not tempted enough to pre-order.  I acknowledge that I might be missing a great opportunity, but...

• 1 month later...

Anyone got a Dwarf 2 or luckily a 3 right now, can they comment on whether it works in a LP area, I refer to the lack of a dew shield which on a normal telescope/lens helps block stray light.

3 minutes ago, tomato said:

The Lazy Geek has recently done an unboxing and first light on the Dwarf 3, from Tokyo, definitely a LP location.

Seen it, impatiently waiting for his test video.

Specifically I'm referring to using it where light sources are immediately nearby (lampposts). I ask because for example with my dslr lenses I struggle to use anything less than 24mm, and my camera lenses have dew/lens hoods, because I have a lamppost right by my wall. The dwarf (and the Seestar) don't have lens hoods so I'm wondering if they can work in such a scenario. I often get strange colour casts on my images (which I can't remove) using something narrow like my lextreme filter, so even the in built filters might not work for my use.

Looking for something I can just plonk outside and run. Understand I may not be able to use the wide lens from home, but the normal lens without lens hood?

I'm sure there will be lens hoods available at least via 3d printers, if not official accessories.

Also it has multiple filters built in including I think a ha/Oiii

Put it on the floor and shield it from street light with a wood panel?

• Like 1

Probably will have to do something like that. I can design and print parts myself but need the product in hand to assess it better.

TBH it'll probably even work sitting inside a box with the top open, the cheapest and simplest obsy ever!

Edited by Elp
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I got an email on Friday that the Dwarf3s are now shipping, I'm expecting mine to arrive hopefully sometime in October. Looking forward to it :) 

Jim 

Edited by saac
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, saac said:

I got an email on Friday that the Dwarf3s are now shipping, I'm expecting mine to arrive hopefully sometime in October. Looking forward to it :) 

Jim 

Stock now shows as 7-10 days at FLO - I'm not sure where I sit in the pre-orders list or how much stock they will be getting. I was hoping it would arrive before my Iceland trip in early October, but I think given I ordered in July I'm going to have to wait for a second stock delivery.

11 minutes ago, Shimrod said:

Stock now shows as 7-10 days at FLO - I'm not sure where I sit in the pre-orders list or how much stock they will be getting. I was hoping it would arrive before my Iceland trip in early October, but I think given I ordered in July I'm going to have to wait for a second stock delivery.

Yeah I ordered in July too. Interesting that FLO are showing that availability I guess that national dealerships had a priority on their deliveries. Maybe we shouldn't have order it direct from Dwarf :( Hey ho, the wait will make it all the better when it arrives !

Jim 

9 hours ago, saac said:

Yeah I ordered in July too. Interesting that FLO are showing that availability I guess that national dealerships had a priority on their deliveries. Maybe we shouldn't have order it direct from Dwarf :( Hey ho, the wait will make it all the better when it arrives !

Jim 

Mine will be coming from FLO - but based past pre-order reports I don't expect them to receive enough stock to fulfil all the orders before mine! Looking forward to getting the telescope eventually and seeing what it can do!

• Like 1

The results from a Tokyo rooftop with this little pocket imaging scope are insanely good. I'm hopefully taking Tomatobro's Dwarf 3 up the Ida mountain on Crete (Skinakas Observatory) at the end of October, if FLO can deliver it before then...

Skinakas_observatory.thumb.JPG.d2cdca2542a981017cfc5cb950935595.JPG

As far as I know I was the first to place an order (3rd June) with Flo but a club member ordered one direct on Dwarflabs in the same week so it will be interesting to see who gets one first.

The tripod and polar alingment scope is all ready 

IMG_20240919_170259.jpg

Edited by Tomatobro
picture added
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Tomatobro said:

Flo just put back the delivery to 15 to 20 working days which does not surprise me.

Disappointing, but I agree not surprising. I briefly had hopes of getting mine to take on holiday, but I think realistically end of October is when mine will arrive at the earliest. The review from Cuiv has got me quite excited about its capabilities though!

The one thing that makes me hesitant is the quality of the optics. In some videos I've seen it star flare, and something like blurX only goes so far (you can still see the flare), not really dissimilar to some aspherical lenses I've tried.