Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Blue Satellite?

Posted (edited)

I saw what looked like a blue satellite going over the UK at around 23:18 -23:22 UTC (00:18-00:22 BST) tonight it went from west to east.

It did not seem to look like aircraft navigation lights, because it didn't look like it was flashing, and it was a lot more blue than green. It also moved a lot like a satellite, straight and arching path/trajectory.

Here's a photo I took at 23:20 UTC:

DSC_5723.thumb.JPG.fbe5554518be3f58abd82d4e6f090e20.JPG

With a Nikon D7100 (DX (APS-C) format DSLR) with a 50mm lens with the settings being: 8 sec, f/2, ISO: 800, +5EV. I haven't edited the photo this is the off camera jpg.

Same settings clearly showing Lyra at 23:21 UTC:

DSC_5727.thumb.JPG.62d05f969b8a598204d897bb5829d345.JPG

I think I might have seen it on Friday night (into Saturday) when the aurora was visible.

I have seen slight hues on satellites before like Envisat looked slightly orange, but still I've never seen such a deep colour before. 

Edited by Arcturus-
  • Like 4

On 13/05/2024 at 16:05, dweller25 said:

Possibly NOAA 18

Looking on Stellarium (assuming it's accurate), NOAA 18 appears too low. Starlink-31695 or Starlink-31714, seem to match the positioning more, however Starlinks usually appear white. Plus Starlinks seem to get in the way of everything.

31 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

Apparently there are around 9900 satellites in orbit at the moment, so identification is getting trickier !

I know the sheer number and rate of increase is a bit concerning.

• Like 1

When I am out observing with binoculars the number of satellites visible is astounding but I have never seen a blue one.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 2

I also saw it the same night as you. It was a very bright blue. I put it down to be a drone of some sort as it changed direction as it neared the horizon. Whereabouts in the UK are you?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

I also saw it the same night as you. It was a very bright blue. I put it down to be a drone of some sort as it changed direction as it neared the horizon. Whereabouts in the UK are you?

I'm in Leicestershire.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

Could it be the Blue Walker satellite?  The array might look blue from certain angles. 

Stellarium has BlueWalker 3 as below the horizon at that time.

Posted (edited)

@Arcturus-

Had another look at this.

The only satellite I see going west to east at around your timings is the ISS, but it usually looks bright white and it went nowhere near Lyra.

I do note that Cosmos 2084 did go west to east past Lyra exactly one hour before your timings.

Or maybe it was not a satellite ?

Edited by dweller25
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Arcturus- said:

Looking on Stellarium (assuming it's accurate), NOAA 18 appears too low. Starlink-31695 or Starlink-31714, seem to match the positioning more, however Starlinks usually appear white. Plus Starlinks seem to get in the way of everything.

Based on the timings and path, I'm still wondering if it was Starlink-31714.

4 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

LBM? 

What's 'LBM?'

On 18/05/2024 at 09:43, dweller25 said:

Apparently there are around 9900 satellites in orbit at the moment, so identification is getting trickier !

And increasing each week.
The Starlinks have reached 6000 now and increasing, they own more hardware in space than anyone else.

To the Opening Post, Blue, that does sound odd indeed, even for a Starlink.

• Like 1

I’ve just seen a blue satellite through the 12x36iii bins. The only satellites in the area on Sky Safari was a Starlink 31829. There are some videos on YT showing it. Not sure why they’re appearing blue though? Perhaps newer gen have some different reflection properties?

Edited by IB20