Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Edexcel GCSE Astronomy……

My daughter’s 14 and strong in science & maths —> she’s doing triple separate science, maths & further maths GCSE.

Her school don’t teach GCSE Astronomy, she’s wondering if it’s something we could self teach at home? (Hopefully with agreement of the school).

She can already independently use an 8 inch dobsonian and can polar align my HEQ5 mount and set up my refractors. She knows the names of the surface features on moon, can find (and name) the constellations and can find deep sky objects without adult help or GOTO assistance. 
I’m an Emergency Medicine Doctor, did maths and physics decades ago for A-Level but am pretty sure I could assist.

So I suppose it’s a couple of questions - is it doable? is it worth doing? And how much time will it consume?

if anyone is a teacher on here…..your advice would be appreciated!!

Thanks

Niall

Edited by Neutrinosoup

Hi Niall,

I teach Physics in Scotland so not sure what the system is down south re GCSEs. Here, it is possible to effectively "home teach" for national qualifications but presentation for exams has to be done through a centre (a school for want of a better term).  This effectively means you need the agreement of a school and then the school acts in a proxy situation for admin purposes/ they would also be the examination centre (administer the exam on the day).  You may also want to find out about any requirement for practical tasks or coursework - the examination body for the GCSE course may place particular requirements around how these elements should be conducted, for example assessment and invigilation standards etc. Don't be put off, it is doable, but I think I would talk to staff at your daughter's school first - ask to speak to the Principal Teacher of science first or maybe her guidance teacher.  As for is it worthwhile, well I guess that all depends on what she/you are looking to get out of it.  Further and Higher education course will be looking for standard entrance exams so your usual science subjects (Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths at Higher level) is she is ultimately pursuing a STEM pathway. The absence of an astronomy cert would not be of any real concern.  So I guess from that perspective the benefits may be marginal, but if she enjoys it, then it could be fun and perhaps a diversion from her normal school studies. The other thing to consider is whether she has the capacity -  is she already carrying a full certificate timetable?  Astronomy is not offered here (Scotland) by our examining authority, those that have pursued it have done it just as a fun/diversion topic. 

ps - just noticed you are in Dumfries and Galloway - is your daughter in school in Scotland, following National 5 courses?

Jim 

Edited by saac
  • Like 1

She sounds really bright on science and strong on the practical side of astronomy. How is she on the theory side of astronomy? 

A long long long time ago I took astronomy 'O' Level from a base competence that sounds familiar to your daughter's. It didnt take too much to get hold of the syllabus and fill in the theory (Keplars Laws, etc) I think about 10 hours work! (Got an A*)

I went on to study astrophysics - it probably did help with my university submissions as I got 5 unconditional offers!

Good luck to her whatever she chooses!

• Like 1

Here's a link to an Edexcel GCSE offering - the document is dated 2017 so you would need to check for any revisions - course content often changes year on year. Anyway this may give you an idea of course content and time (teaching hours) for delivery. 

https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-gcses/astronomy-2017.html

Jim 

Edited by saac

I did the Edexel GCSE course about 9 years ago.  It was excellent.  I was pleased to get a Grade A. 
It gave me a good grounding in all aspects of Astrononomy though we only touched on the different types of telescope.  But really worthwhile.  At least two students were going on to study astrophysics at uni  

We did have Homework.  

l did however do it at an evening class at Greenwich Observatory.  
l am not sure if it is available to do on line.  But l think there are a number of centres that do it now.  

Carole

Edited by carastro

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, saac said:

Hi Niall,

I teach Physics in Scotland so not sure what the system is down south re GCSEs. Here, it is possible to effectively "home teach" for national qualifications but presentation for exams has to be done through a centre (a school for want of a better term).  This effectively means you need the agreement of a school and then the school acts in a proxy situation for admin purposes/ they would also be the examination centre (administer the exam on the day).  You may also want to find out about any requirement for practical tasks or coursework - the examination body for the GCSE course may place particular requirements around how these elements should be conducted, for example assessment and invigilation standards etc. Don't be put off, it is doable, but I think I would talk to staff at your daughter's school first - ask to speak to the Principal Teacher of science first or maybe her guidance teacher.  As for is it worthwhile, well I guess that all depends on what she/you are looking to get out of it.  Further and Higher education course will be looking for standard entrance exams so your usual science subjects (Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths at Higher level) is she is ultimately pursuing a STEM pathway. The absence of an astronomy cert would not be of any real concern.  So I guess from that perspective the benefits may be marginal, but if she enjoys it, then it could be fun and perhaps a diversion from her normal school studies. The other thing to consider is whether she has the capacity -  is she already carrying a full certificate timetable?  Astronomy is not offered here (Scotland) by our examining authority, those that have pursued it have done it just as a fun/diversion topic. 

ps - just noticed you are in Dumfries and Galloway - is your daughter in school in Scotland, following National 5 courses?

Jim 

School in Carlisle - I work in Dumfries and  Galloway Royal infirmary, cross border fun and games!

Edited by Neutrinosoup
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Neutrinosoup said:

My daughter’s 14 and strong in science & maths —> she’s doing triple separate science, maths & further maths GCSE.

Her school don’t teach GCSE Astronomy, she’s wondering if it’s something we could self teach at home? (Hopefully with agreement of the school)

if anyone is a teacher on here…..your advice would be appreciated!!

I can't advise on whether it's worth doing - Yes, learning 'something you don't have to' is always good...

However; what year is she now?  If she's 14 now in year 9, she's not going to complete it in 2024, which means that she'll be finishing it alongside her year 10 increased workload.;  not a problem in itself - but we wouldn't want it to get in the way.

As always for GCSE's, it's worth checking the course details; for example, there are a number of 'practical observation' tasks, some of which will need longer term planning ("when will be the best season for doing this", etc.). Your ability to reach good locations for certain observations may be an issue for the ease of completing the practical tasks. 

You may already have found the website of Mickledore Press, who have a range of materials dedicated to the current GCSE course and its requirements. 

https://mickledoreastronomy.co.uk/  Well worth looking for. 

Be aware that (in my view) the current GCSE course is quite 'mathematical', so it's strong on "if X has a RA of 'xxx', and you are observing at HH.MM at a location of XX.YY, will you see it?", and is less strong on the "what amazes you about astronomy?" - but if looking for something for a CV, and if (as it seems) it's something that fits your daughter's skillset, it will be good if she can get a fully fledged GCSE  before the hard work of her 'regular ones', it'll be a boost to her confidence. 

If she's thinking it'll be of specific help in Uni applications, I would tend to be sceptical; though if she's looking for an Astro/Physics/Maths/Computing type degree, then it may give her an edge for some subjects.

Hope this helps

Edited by Gfamily

Back in the day, a very long time ago when GCSEs were called O-Levels, I asked to take O-Level astronomy at my school in Ipswich.

My teachers initially refused, saying it wasn’t on the curriculum or something and they didn’t have anyone to teach it. I said I didn’t need a teacher, I can do it myself! Eventually, after further persuasion from my parents, they agreed. I recall sitting the written exam in the big exam hall, empty apart from one other guy also taking the astronomy exam after my actions. I sometimes wonder what happened to him.

I got an A. Actually, the only A I have ever received, although I haven’t done too badly in life.

Edited by lukebl
  • Like 4