Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eclipse 2026

Hi all

Where do you recommend for the 2026 eclipse- Spain (lower horizon but chance of clear skys and warmer) or Iceland - sun high in the sky but weather more risky cloud wise ?

Pete Lawrence is headed to Greenland if that's any help ... 😄

Personally I'm biding my time until the year after when I'm heading to Sfax , Tunisia which will deliver over six minutes of totality as opposed to the measley 1:45 or so in '26 .... 😉

15 hours ago, Beardy30 said:

Greenland’s not an option really for me as I’m hoping to make a family break of it - I image well opt for Spain 🇪🇸 

It will depend on your budget as well. Iceland is expensive, more so in August, and with an eclipse I should imagine most of us will be priced out of a stay! East Greenland will be on an expedition cruise ship at around £8k per person....

Spain will be much cheaper - you could always stay a distance from the path of totality and travel into the area on the day. It also has more scope for choosing where to go in the path of totality based on weather. The eclipse only cuts a corner of Iceland which gives limited travel scope to avoid any cloud.

edit: You could always consider a cruise - see this thread - Eclipse Cruises although be aware the one to Spain will have you on ship for the eclipse (compared to Iceland where you overnight). I would not want to be jostling for position with 2,700 other people to get a view and no doubt there would be no room for photography

Edited by Shimrod
  • Like 1

I’ll be going to Spain myself.
I think totality near the horizon could be visually much more impressive within the landscape rather than isolated high in the sky.

• Like 3

Spain here too - lots of options in advance for where to stay and mobility options in the immediate time frame of the event too if local cloud cover is an issue. Northern Spain (Galicia and the Costa da Morte in particular on the NW corner of Spain) are fabulous locations anyway - the Coast of Death as you can imagine from the name (its named such because of the number of shipwrecks) is like a wild Cornwall but nearly totally empty of tourists/tourist pressure. Super.

• Like 2