Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Milky Way Galactic Core

Unlikely to get the Summer Milky Way arc in Wales so on a family holiday to Tenerife last week I took my camera and star tracker to try my hand there!

I was allowed one night star gazing on top of Tenerife in its volcanic caldera at the base of Mount Teide and ‘wow’, blown away I was by the beautiful clear sky with the core clearly seen rising from 3am.  I started taking a few shots and the one below was my highlight image. 
Located at Minas De San Jose where the terrain looks like something on the Moon with the galactic core rising in the east and having the place to myself was what I really enjoyed here. Selfie a must!

The sky was tracked and consisted of 1 row of 7 images in portrait orientation at ISO1600 f3.2 60secs with a Canon6D and Samyang 24mm lens.

The foreground was done in landscape orientation at ISO1600 f1.8 60secs (5 images).

Selfie was done at ISO3200 f1.8 14secs - some rocks were lit up quite nice too.

The image was stacked in sequator, stitched in PTGui and processed in Photoshop CS.

Hope you like?. CC’s welcome.

Summer Milky Way Arc:

3662AABA-4508-4B86-BA78-017AFBFF6339.thumb.jpeg.3c10b744f2124f5cf711a0b0c3de925e.jpeg

• Like 17

1 hour ago, shinebug777 said:

insane shot! i love the placement of the person and the location of the shot. it has great composition. and of course the milk way is just stunning. awesome capture!

Ha, I nearly fell off that rock!! I am always mindful of foreground subject (often supplemented by me) and try and remember  composition aspects.
Cheers.

Gerr.

Superb image, Gerr!! Envious of how dark and star-studded the skies must have been! Also slightly amused by how long the 14 seconds of your selfie exposure must have felt as you stood there, precariously on that outcrop!!

• Thanks 1

Wow that's impressive Ger. I'm so pleased you captured the core on your holiday and took such an amazing image. I agree with the landscapes in the Canary Islands are very moon like and a place I love to visit when possible. 

Clesr skies 

Lee 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, FenlandPaul said:

Superb image, Gerr!! Envious of how dark and star-studded the skies must have been! Also slightly amused by how long the 14 seconds of your selfie exposure must have felt as you stood there, precariously on that outcrop!!

Felt like the shot would never end! I still had to clone stamp myself where my sides were still a bit blurry but that also helped me lose weight as an added benefit!! 
Skies were so clear that night - very lucky!

Cheers Paul. 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

Wow that's impressive Ger. I'm so pleased you captured the core on your holiday and took such an amazing image. I agree with the landscapes in the Canary Islands are very moon like and a place I love to visit when possible. 

Clesr skies 

Lee 

Thanks Lee. I was lucky enough to be in La Palma in early Jan for the winter Milky Way and then last week I got the Summer Milky Way arc. When we plan holidays now I always check for night sky quality abroad before  we book (don’t tell the missus)!

I forgot to mention I used Sequator as I took at least three panels of each image in the panoramic sky row. This meant any ‘blurry’ ones could be discarded in post processing. It is very difficult to spot this in the field and I only had one night with no return ticket! 
Gerr.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gerr said:

Thanks Lee. I was lucky enough to be in La Palma in early Jan for the winter Milky Way and then last week I got the Summer Milky Way arc. When we plan holidays now I always check for night sky quality abroad before  we book (don’t tell the missus)!

When we used to go on holiday I'm like that too. Especially planning for around the new moon time 😉

Lee 

• Like 1