Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Byland Abbey in a slight breeze.

I was at Sutton Bank North Yorkshire National Park Centre on Saturday night helping a friend out with a public Astronomy outreach. Due to the fact it rained most of the time I didn't have a lot to do !

Now then, Byland Abbey is very close by so after midnight when everyone had gone home and the sky cleared out a bit ( As it would eh ? ) I decided to pay the Abbey a visit. Unfortunately Storm Kathleen joined me and no matter how much I struggled, she managed to ruined almost every shot. I'll post one of the least damaged but the stars are awful and the details blurred. Don't zoom in for best views as I've compressed the image quite a bit to hide it  😇 Not long after I took this shot I finally lost all hope and drove home.

Nikon Z6ii, 20 mm lens, ISO 3200, F1.8, and 10 seconds single exposure. Chicken sandwich and plain chocolate hobnobs.

BylandAbbeytradesmansentrance..thumb.jpg.c0825c90dede64374bd57f4ad04cc4b7.jpg

If anyone finds themselves in the area, it's a nice quiet and fairly dark spot other than the light on the side of the pub opposite !

Dave.

• Like 11

Very nicely done, Dave - and good opportunistic shoot. Lovely and sharp.  But can we talk about the plain chocolate hobnobs?  This a technique with which I'm not familiar....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Knighty2112 said:

Very nice none the less for the wind. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Cheers Gus,

A timelapse was out of the question  :)

Dave.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, FenlandPaul said:

Very nicely done, Dave - and good opportunistic shoot. Lovely and sharp.  But can we talk about the plain chocolate hobnobs?  This a technique with which I'm not familiar....

Thanks Paul,

Plain = dark. Dark = stealth. Stealth = no one else can see them so they're all mine :)  Easy when you know how 👍

Dave

• Haha 1

Beautiful image Dave. What an amazing foreground of the Abbey. I know what you mean about the wind it was extremely windy. I was out in the early hours by the quarry trying for the milky-way but clouds only gave me glimpses. Good luck for next time.

Lee 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

Beautiful image Dave. What an amazing foreground of the Abbey. I know what you mean about the wind it was extremely windy. I was out in the early hours by the quarry trying for the milky-way but clouds only gave me glimpses. Good luck for next time.

Lee 

You were out too ? Yes, between the clouds and the wind it was a bit of a trial.

Good luck to you and I hope to see some more from you soon,

Dave.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, clarkpm4242 said:

One way of making stars more prominent...am cutting back on the goodies.  Though throughly approve.

Striking composition  :)

Good to see you out in the field, Paul.

On some of my shots the starts looked like mini comets ! 

Byland is good isn't it ? I'll try and get back there one day and do some light painting as I think the place is crying out for it.

It was nice to get out except for all the dust and cobwebs on the Nikon :)

Dave.

On 08/04/2024 at 17:38, davew said:

Plain = dark. Dark = stealth. Stealth = no one else can see them so they're all mine :)  Easy when you know how 👍

That's useful to know... ;)

Methinks the image is nicer than you think - 

On 08/04/2024 at 20:03, clarkpm4242 said:

Good to see you out in the field...

What Paul says :)

James

• Like 2

20 hours ago, James said:

That's useful to know... ;)

Thanks for the positive words :)

Hmm. Unfortunately I have a friend who can sense Chocolate biscuits from around half a mile ! I forgot to mention you him 🤭

Cheers,

Dave.

• Haha 1