Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What should we do with the Moon?

OXO

i dare say the americans will claim all the sites of the apollo landings as their flag is planted at each site.

To give them their due, they didn't. Historically you claim territory by planting the flag and announcing "I claim this land...." The only claim that was actually made was "We came in peace for all mankind".

Anyway, the flag blew over when they took off, as can be clearly seen in the footage shot from the ascending LM.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nuke it. Seriously, blow it out of the sky.

Never did us a lick of good, anyway.

I seem to remember hearing or reading somewhere that the tilt of out planet is 'stabilised' by our moon, and if it wasn't there, the Earth could potentially 'wobble' a lot further. The end result would be melting of the polar caps as they came closer to the plane of orbit etc....and generally an increase in global sales of wellies!

Does anyone know if this is true or BS by the way? One of those questions I've always wanted to ask!?

Give it a nice even coat of matt black paint

I thought it was already blacker than most black paints are.

Can't we shove it into the L1 Lagrange point, where it will be perpetually "new" & there should be lots of interesting solar transits to watch?

.....We could always sell it to the Martians. Its got to be worth a few quid. We could solve world hunger overnight with the extra cash.....

Trouble is the Martians work on the basis that the seller has to pay the delivery costs ........ that's why they don't do e.bay :hello2:

In any case, it would be a non starter unless/until all the junk within geosynchronous orbit distance was removed. That gets steadily more & more difficult as the volume of space debris increases at an almost exponential rate.

That one is easy .. we can scoop up all the debris by launching a suitably large number of those well known yellow and brightly coloured vacuum cleaners into orbit and when done can neatly arrange said cleaning apparatus into a handy Dyson Sphere thus solving our energy needs at the same time :):hello2:

I think the more basic question should be can anyone find any good reason to do anything on the Moon?

As a place to learn about the Moon it's the best place to go. But other than that it's far more expensive and far more difficult than any alternative. As far as I can tell, almost anything you might want to do on the Moon is going to be much cheaper and easier to do from Earth or from orbit.

Archived