Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Thinking of buying a bad telescope...

Ags

Well, I'm sure the optics are fine, but I have my doubts about the focuser and the mount, but most importantly there is a StarSense module attached to the Celestron AZ70. Is StarSense really that great?

• Like 1

New or second hand? If the latter, make sure it hasn't been activated on too many other phones. I think it allows up to four.

There are several members who have bought AZ70s solely to cannibalise the Starsense for other scopes, and they seem to think it was worth it. There's a thread somewhere on their efforts.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zermelo said:

make sure it hasn't been activated on too many other phones

That sounds like borderline illegal product design! You can't factory reset it? After 4 phones it is a dead parrot? I am going to get the EU to ban this ludicrous e-waste (after I have bought one).

50 minutes ago, Ags said:

Is StarSense really that great?

In short, yes! It works really well, I bought a new LT80AZ on offer, mainly just to get the StarSense. I have used it to good effect on my other refractors, it is very accurate. You just need a method to mount it on your scope, which is not too tricky to sort in these days of 3D printing. Actually, I must try it on the 16”!

• Like 3

Starsense is revolutionary! i can’t imagine surfing my way around the sky without it, anymore. If it has the module mae sure it hasn’t been activated on more than one or two other phones, confirm how many it allows for as I have forgotten and am not home at the moment.  I did a real short bideo on youtube for the purpose of demonstrating to a friend how it works, i will include link below.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 3

I'd buy new just to avoid hassle, but I believe you can contact Celestron if you run out of activations.  Hope so.  I used 3 goes trying to get a phone that worked, a 4th on my daughter's iPhone and the 5th on my pixel after they released a patch because despite it being compatible it did not work!

Might email them tomorrow actually and check.  I'll report back.

I got the az80 cause it was on offer at flo, but it is absolutely worth it I think.

If you need a mounting solution for another scope and don't have a 3D printer, let me know and I can do one for cost + postage + hobnobs.  Someone is selling my design for £28 on ebay (rip off, but nought I can do) but I rattle them out for about £8 (inc postage).  If you do have a 3D printer, go for this one:

https://www.printables.com/model/559841-starsense-explorer-finder-shoe-mount-holder

But back to your question, it's brilliant.  Provided your phone is compatible (iPhones just are, android is a bit hit and miss, but pixel phones now work).

The app is a bit weak though.  You cant save observing lists so you just need to search for each target in the software.  I think iPhones can integrate it with sky safari but I've no idea how good/bad that is.

• Like 4

I bought this very scope in order to cannibalise the Starsense unit (which is fantastic by the way). The tripod and mount are next to useless, but the F10 achro optics are actually pretty good, with a passable focuser and RACI diagonal. It’s mostly plastic but very lightweight. Before I removed the Starsense, I mounted the scope on a decent mount and had a nice time using the Starsense app to guide me to various DSOs and doubles. The Starsense now sits on my 102ED but I have kept the 70mm OTA for lending to friends. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ratlet said:

The app is a bit weak though.  You cant save observing lists so you just need to search for each target in the software.  I think iPhones can integrate it with sky safari but I've no idea how good/bad that is.

The SkySafari integration works very well so you get the best of both worlds 👍

• Like 1

Five different gadgets can be used for  activation after that one has to contact Celestron to get hopefully , a new activation code.

I bought a used Starsense lt100az    locally on Ebay and only one activation code was used up, luckily for me the original buyer although activated it with his phone and email didn't register his product with Celestron HQ .  So I did and it looks now like I am the original owner and I get the odd email now from Celestron regarding tech news etc , etc. 

• Like 1