Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tegmine - Zeta Cancri: Resolved but not Split with a 4 inch

John

1 hour ago, IB20 said:

Looking at Stelladoppie; in 20 years the AB pairing will be a ~0.6” separation. Best get saving for a Mewlon 250CRS…

Easy peasy for the 12" :wink2:

Speaking about the benefits to keep long time records ...

From 1990 up until 2011, I kept  hand written logs.  But I started the electronic ones since.

Regarding the stars discussed above, this is what I found  in my ''archives'' I maintain,  as detailed I can:

- I first split Tegmine as triple star on April 10, 2013 with the 125mm Dobsonian. I already mentioned this on page 2 of this thread. This is in line with the experience of other observers.

- Nu Sco was split as a ''double - double'' star on June 18, 2011 with the same reflector. I need to mention I live at 46 degrees latitude.

In the Summer there is a short window of time when there are chances to split this pretty difficult multiple star. 

About splitting Tegmine AB when will be at 0,6'' separation, I'm not afraid. My 250mm Dobsonian is fully and proved capable of doing that.

Just I never heard of an astronomer splitting such tight double stars at the age of 90. What I am suppossed to have in 20 years from now ...

Mircea

Nu Sco.png

• Like 2

Sub-arc second splits are rarely easy under UK skies, regardless of the scope used, at least that's what I've found 🙄

• Like 4

1 hour ago, John said:

Sub-arc second splits are rarely easy under UK skies, regardless of the scope used, at least that's what I've found 

Ah, but when seeing is excellent... With the C9.25 I split 0.7", and 0.5" with the 12".

I always like a challenge. At the moment I'm doing a chart for the bottom of UMa surrounding ν and ξ. I note several close doubles, including TDS 8009 at 10.7, 10.7, 0.4". It's worth a try.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

Ah, but when seeing is excellent... With the C9.25 I split 0.7", and 0.5" with the 12".

I always like a challenge. At the moment I'm doing a chart for the bottom of UMa surrounding ν and ξ. I note several close doubles, including TDS 8009 at 10.7, 10.7, 0.4". It's worth a try.

Thats great Michael 🙂

I've not had such good seeing here, even when I had larger aperture scopes. 

5 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

Hi Michael TDS8009 is listed as a dubious double (or bogus binary) it has an X in the notes. Have a look but it might be in vain.

Cheers

Ian

12 minutes ago, lunator said:

Hi Michael TDS8009 is listed as a dubious double (or bogus binary) it has an X in the notes. Have a look but it might be in vain.

I'll have a look anyway - I can always report it as not seen.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got hooked on this little fella, and tonight went after him with my ETX105- so 4 inch mak not frac. I would have to say elongated not resolved on a night off fairly steady seeing.

• Like 2