Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Autostakkert help

So ive followed the tutorials on youtube, or so I thought , and gave it a go on 99 images of the moon i took last night.  This is the result.  Whats happened here?  I first loaded the raw images into Lightroom , adjusted a few things like exposure and then exported them all out as Tiff files.  Loaded them into Autostackert, followed a moon stacking tutorial and ended up with this!

Capture.JPG

Stack first - process after

check there is no cloud going through

pick a feature and control click a box

Stack 25% of frames

suggest AP size 104 or 200

Solar System objects are best imaged using a technique called 'lucky imaging' which comprises taking a high frame rate video capture followed by stacking. Depending upon your system and capture speed these videos can comprise many thousands of frames.  Then, after the stack, you can start to apply processing techniques.  What camera are you using?

Edited by Owmuchonomy
  • Like 1

Did you take individual frames? As said above taking short videos at a high frame rate is the way to go. You can then look at the graph of the quality of the frames in your video and choose the best percentage to stack. Once stacked you can use either Registax or Astrosurface to sharpen the final image.

You can see in the image where some of the issue comes from - AS! tracks the movement of features inside the alignment points you set, if the feature moves too much, it looses it's lock on the feature. I'd review the tiffs for outliers where the moon moved significantly and remove them, then restack the remainder with much a much larger AP size and see how it improves

But as above, stack before any processing 🙂