Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Jellyfish Nebula - artistic non-OIII version (24.6 hrs)

AstroGS

For my first "proper" image since I setup the telescope in Spain @PixelSkiesAstro I chose the Jellyfish Nebula using my Redcat61, 2600MM camera, and Antlia 2.8nm LRGBSHO filters mounted on an AM5.

Over 24 hours of data were collected, with the focus on revealing the nebula's full colours in SHO. However, a setback occurred as nearly 7 hours of OIII-filtered data proved unusable due to unexpected halos and star bloating. Despite efforts during the image processing phase, the OIII data remained unusable. FLO and Antlia are investigating the issue for me.

Undeterred, I decided to salvage the project by combining the excellent Ha and SII data with RGB stars, using the Foraxx script, resulting in an image that I am pleased with. Although the outcome diverges from a faithful representation, the artistic approach yielded a dramatic and interesting scene, in my opinion. I welcome any feedback or insights and hope you find joy in the unique rendition of this beautiful nebula. When I sort out the OIII filter issue, I will add the OIII and probably more Ha and SII too.

Ha: 68 x 600 sec

SII: 38 x 600 sec

RGB: 40 x 120 sec each

Calibration files: Flats, Darks and Bias (50 each)

Jellyfish.jpg

Edited by AstroGS
  • Like 28

6 hours ago, AstroGS said:

Over 24 hours of data were collected, with the focus on revealing the nebula's full colours in SHO. However, a setback occurred as nearly 7 hours of OIII-filtered data proved unusable due to unexpected halos and star bloating. Despite efforts during the image processing phase, the OIII data remained unusable. FLO and Antlia are investigating the issue for me.

I wish I hadn't read that! I am having issues with my Baader Blue & Oiii filters and was considering a set of Antlia 2" filters as a fix!

5 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

I wish I hadn't read that! I am having issues with my Baader Blue & Oiii filters and was considering a set of Antlia 2" filters as a fix!

Do you use a flattener or reducer in your imaging train..? If so one thing to try is to put the filters on the telescope side of that, and you may find the reflections will be diminished..👍🏻

18 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

Do you use a flattener or reducer in your imaging train..? If so one thing to try is to put the filters on the telescope side of that, and you may find the reflections will be diminished..👍🏻

Nope - no reducer or flattener. This is a very heavy crop - maybe less than 10% of the whole image using the Blue filter - the Oiii is just the same.

masterLight_BIN-1_4499x3599_EXPOSURE-300.00s_FILTER-Blue_mono.jpg.3d52a246761fd5459d8f9524528d0729.thumb.jpg.aa9bf78417ea9260c972b29935c9e8e9.jpg.b05d1e408662d491a69e9a5ed2560fa5.jpg

4 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

Nope - no reducer or flattener. This is a very heavy crop - maybe less than 10% of the whole image using the Blue filter - the Oiii is just the same.

masterLight_BIN-1_4499x3599_EXPOSURE-300.00s_FILTER-Blue_mono.jpg.3d52a246761fd5459d8f9524528d0729.thumb.jpg.aa9bf78417ea9260c972b29935c9e8e9.jpg.b05d1e408662d491a69e9a5ed2560fa5.jpg

Hmmm, yes they are pretty bad, and also more worrying is the halos are off centre too, which only  normally happens at the out edges of the image, would not expect this at all with a Tak106…

I used to get halos off centre like that with my Baby Q which turned out to be a really poor example, with bad collimation issues…

1 hour ago, Skipper Billy said:

Well I cannot fault the Antlia filters  both the Ha and SII are absolutely fantastic as well as the LRGB - it seems that only the OIII had an issue. Compared to my previous 7nm these are really good..

In case it helps - I am attaching 1 from each for your review 🙂

2024-02-01_23-34-42_Ha_-10.10_600.00s_0010.fits 2024-02-05_00-36-10_OIII_-10.00_600.00s_0007.fits 2024-02-03_23-01-58_SII_-10.00_600.00s_0017.fits

28 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

Hmmm, yes they are pretty bad, and also more worrying is the halos are off centre too, which only  normally happens at the out edges of the image, would not expect this at all with a Tak106…

Yep - I am not a happy bunny at the moment!

Anyway - I won't hijack your thread - cracking image by the way - just shows that there is no substitute for plenty of exposure time !

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skipper Billy said:

Yep - I am not a happy bunny at the moment!

Anyway - I won't hijack your thread - cracking image by the way - just shows that there is no substitute for plenty of exposure time !

Thank you - I will try to push a bit more the stretch to see if I can get a bit more of the dust.

Followed Stuart's suggestion and I might like the new version better as it reveals more detail but, the 1st one is more "dramatic" I would dare to say - thank you for the suggestion @Stuart1971

Thoughts?

JellyfishV2.jpg

Edited by AstroGS
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, AstroGS said:

Thank you - I will try to push a bit more the stretch to see if I can get a bit more of the dust.

I have spent years trying to develop a lighter touch to my processing and I think you nailed it in your original. I wouldnt stretch it much at all. The web is full of grossly overprocessed almost comical images with blown highlights !! Jewellers dont put their goods on a market stall ! 🙂 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Skipper Billy said:

Hi Dave 

I have the full set of 2” Antlia filters and so far I have been impressed 

No significant halos to be seen 

After being burned by other brands and investing in a full set of 1.25 Astrodon filters I was worried buying the Antlia filters as it was still a significant investment for the 2” versions 

I opted for the 4.5hd edge version as I had recently bought a Sharpstar 15028hnt reflector that I have yet to use in anger but with my “slower” optics so far I haven’t been disappointed 

Hope you are well? 

All the best 

Bryan 

10 hours ago, AstroGS said:

For my first "proper" image since I setup the telescope in Spain @PixelSkiesAstro I chose the Jellyfish Nebula using my Redcat61, 2600MM camera, and Antlia 2.8nm LRGBSHO filters mounted on an AM5.

Undeterred, I decided to salvage the project by combining the excellent Ha and SII data with RGB stars, using the Foraxx script, resulting in an image that I am pleased with. Although the outcome diverges from a faithful representation, the artistic approach yielded a dramatic and interesting scene, in my opinion. I welcome any feedback or insights and hope you find joy in the unique rendition of this beautiful nebula. When I sort out the OIII filter issue, I will add the OIII and probably more Ha and SII too.

Ha: 68 x 600 sec

SII: 38 x 600 sec

RGB: 40 x 120 sec each

Calibration files: Flats, Darks and Bias (50 each)

Jellyfish.jpg

Beautiful Image! 
lovely subtle processing of the useable data! 
Thanks for sharing 

Bryan

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, assouptro said:

Hi Dave 

I have the full set of 2” Antlia filters and so far I have been impressed 

No significant halos to be seen 

After being burned by other brands and investing in a full set of 1.25 Astrodon filters I was worried buying the Antlia filters as it was still a significant investment for the 2” versions 

I opted for the 4.5hd edge version as I had recently bought a Sharpstar 15028hnt reflector that I have yet to use in anger but with my “slower” optics so far I haven’t been disappointed 

Hope you are well? 

Thanks Bryan that restores my confidence a little!

I am well - now - I had a new Aorta and femoral arteries a few weeks ago but I am well on the mend now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Skipper Billy said:

Thanks Bryan that restores my confidence a little!

I am well - now - I had a new Aorta and femoral arteries a few weeks ago but I am well on the mend now.

I saw your post regarding your surgery 

It was a shock to hear how poorly you have been and you have been in my thoughts 

It has also made me seriously consider the prospect of starting statins as I too have high cholesterol 

I am glad you are on the mend! ❤️‍🩹 

Apologies @AstroGSfor the hijack of your post 😊

Bryan 

1 minute ago, assouptro said:

I saw your post regarding your surgery 

It was a shock to hear how poorly you have been and you have been in my thoughts 

It has also made me seriously consider the prospect of starting statins as I too have high cholesterol 

I am glad you are on the mend! ❤️‍🩹 

Apologies @AstroGSfor the hijack of your post 😊

Bryan 

It is not a highjack - it is a nice warming conversation of two friends sharing the same love for the cosmos as, it would have happen if we were all together at a star party.

My best wishes to Dave.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AstroGS said:

It is not a highjack - it is a nice warming conversation of two friends sharing the same love for the cosmos as, it would have happen if we were all together at a star party.

My best wishes to Dave.

Thank you 🙏 

I drove 360 miles today to pick up a new (to me) piece of Astro kit today, and the best part was just being able to wax lyrical over the one thing we were both passionate about 

It  can be a lonely hobby! 😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AstroGS said:

What a lovely and refreshing attitude ! 🙂 

• Like 2

Are you absolutely sure the OIII can't be used? I'm a bit of a hard-core 'fix it and use it' merchant! Could you not stretch it, de-star it and use Content Aware Fill on the haloes? I don't think there would be any need to put the stars back since you could use the OIII as a colour layer while leaving the stars as they are.

It is a lovely image and, as you say, dramatic because the colour change brings the Jellyfish forward, visually. It's just a shame to lose the outer OIII shell.

Olly

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Are you absolutely sure the OIII can't be used? I'm a bit of a hard-core 'fix it and use it' merchant! Could you not stretch it, de-star it and use Content Aware Fill on the haloes? I don't think there would be any need to put the stars back since you could use the OIII as a colour layer while leaving the stars as they are.

It is a lovely image and, as you say, dramatic because the colour change brings the Jellyfish forward, visually. It's just a shame to lose the outer OIII shell.

Olly

Thanks Olly - Content Aware Fill is a feature of PS if I'm not mistaken and unfortunately I do not use PS. Probably I will have to put some serious thought on start learning how to use PS.

I will be sharing though the star aligned & cropped, xisf OIII stacked image, if anyone wants to play around 🙂

OIII.xisf

@ollypenrice this is how it looks after (my personal best) stretching. I tried through the available Pixinsight tools (that I know of) to remove the halos but, since they are integrated in the nebulosity, I am finding it difficult to remove without leaving a residual shadow.image.thumb.png.c2164ab3f042f1e86aa48e9fc55f92ab.png

• Like 1