SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

AstroFest 2024 - 2nd 3rd February - Anyone going?

whooshbang

Any members attending attending this year? Not a roll call, just curious. I haven't been since the late 90's. I remember purchasing a Meade 10" SCT there after getting the astro bug from Comet Hale-Bopp. I have fond memories of many great nights observing with that scope, it was a breeze compared to my Meade refractor on a very manual Alt-Az mount and badly collimated newt on a withering EQ mount with no setting circles... its no wonder i didn't have a clue how to find anything with the newt (that put me off newts n gems for a while).

Anyway, I'm looking forward to going again... booked a conference ticket for the Friday

Anyone else thinking of going? buying something perhaps? Or doing the conferences?

Edited by whooshbang

• whooshbang changed the title to AstroFest 2024 - 2nd 3rd February - Anyone going?

Going down for the weekend with a couple of astro buddies, tickets bought for the conference on both days and The Moonwalkers: A Journey with Tom Hanks show on Sunday.  Should be a great weekend🙃

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, fireballxl5 said:

Going down for the weekend with a couple of astro buddies, tickets bought for the conference on both days and The Moonwalkers: A Journey with Tom Hanks show on Sunday.  Should be a great weekend🙃

Indeed 😎

• Like 1

On 23/01/2024 at 12:46, fireballxl5 said:

I'll be there Friday..   You'll enjoy Moonwalkers.. I went on Tuesday and it was amazing, the area around Kings Cross is also very interesting 

Dave

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Laurin Dave said:

I'll be there Friday..   You'll enjoy Moonwalkers.. I went on Tuesday and it was amazing, the area around Kings Cross is also very interesting 

Dave

Is that the 10:30 "fly me to the moon" talk? Looking forward to that one. In fact, there isn't one that i'm not interested in seeing. The idea being that if i stay busy with the conference i'll have less opportunity to overspend in the exhibition. 🤑

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, whooshbang said:

Is that the 10:30 "fly me to the moon" talk? Looking forward to that one. In fact, there isn't one that i'm not interested in seeing. The idea being that if i stay busy with the conference i'll have less opportunity to overspend in the exhibition. 🤑

No it's a separate Exhibition over at Lightroom behind Kings Cross..  The Moonwalkers: A Journey with Tom Hanks (lightroom.uk)

Dave

• Like 1

I went 12 years straight between 2005-2016 but have not been back since then.

I was disappointed with the 2016 show ; hardly any vendors there and the speaker line up had seemingly been hastily arranged.

I much prefer the PAS / IAS shows and they are a lot closer for me to get to.

I like a day out in London though.

One thing of note ; I believe the train drivers are on strike on Saturday 3rd so if you are planning on taking the train, it may put a spanner in the journey plans.*

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Space Hopper said:

I went 12 years straight between 2005-2016 but have not been back since then.

I was disappointed with the 2016 show ; hardly any vendors there and the speaker line up had seemingly been hastily arranged.

I much prefer the PAS / IAS shows and they are a lot closer for me to get to.

I like a day out in London though.

One thing of note ; I believe the train drivers are on strike on Saturday 3rd so if you are planning on taking the train, it may put a spanner in the journey plans.*

Fortunately the train companies striking at the weekend aren't the ones in my area - they're doing it on 30th January. Got lucky there. 

• Like 1

I believe ow my forecast visit has been sabotaged by the train drivers. Both Avanti West Coast and West Midlands lines are due to be on strike. 

I'm struggling to find convenient park and ride options. 

Was thinking of parking at Brent Cross (I understand it's free) and tubing in from there. Just not sure whether it's worth the extra effort now. 

I worked out that a train trip to London/Kensington would work out at near £100 and result in a very long day. Assuming the trains and underground were running.
Then there is the difficulty of carrying the bargain 16" dob on the underground to get home🤣
PAS is my chosen spring show. By car at a fraction of the travel time and cost. If I can car share, the cost drops further.

Show organsers and retailers take note.
The UK is not centred on London.
A glance at a map shows it to be in the bottom right hand corner😁

• Like 4

2 hours ago, nickarp2000 said:

I believe ow my forecast visit has been sabotaged by the train drivers. Both Avanti West Coast and West Midlands lines are due to be on strike. 

I'm struggling to find convenient park and ride options. 

Was thinking of parking at Brent Cross (I understand it's free) and tubing in from there. Just not sure whether it's worth the extra effort now. 

I live a few tube stops up the road from Brent Cross (Burnt Oak) on the northern line. If you are thinking of going on the Friday you could park outside my house (free and safer that a random carpark) and tube in with me if you want?

11 hours ago, whooshbang said:

I live a few tube stops up the road from Brent Cross (Burnt Oak) on the northern line. If you are thinking of going on the Friday you could park outside my house (free and safer that a random carpark) and tube in with me if you want?

Thats really kind of you. Unfortunately its only the Saturday I can go this year.

I have investigated an alternative option this morning.

Driving to Amersham at the top of the Metropolitan Line and tubing in from there whilst leaving my car on the Multi Story. This might work, other than its a 1.5 hours to Amersham in the car.

17 minutes ago, nickarp2000 said:

Thats really kind of you. Unfortunately its only the Saturday I can go this year.

I have investigated an alternative option this morning.

Driving to Amersham at the top of the Metropolitan Line and tubing in from there whilst leaving my car on the Multi Story. This might work, other than its a 1.5 hours to Amersham in the car.

Sounds like a plan!

Hope you have a good day out.

• Like 1

I have to agree in this day and age with all the centrally located or external London exhibition venues available, I would have thought they would have relocated to provide some greater access for those people who have to travel half the countries length and more to get there.

However it is what it is I suppose, and so long as I dont spend more on transport than I may at the exhibition I dont mind.

They advertise it as a European event, and indeed I am often surprised by how many Europeans come.

I do agree its not a great venue, but with the other astronomy shows around the country I doubt they would ever consider moving out of London.

I'll be there Friday.

• Like 2