NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Planetary observing and seeing conditions

I often wonder why my seeing conditions seem to be poor when others out at the same time have good seeing conditions.

I just found this image of the flight corridors across the UK, I marked where I live with a red spot which seems to be a junction for two major flight corridors !!

That may explain why my seeing conditions were good during covid lockdown ?

I think I need to move….

IMG_1101.jpeg.ee8e9d34d05eeebae1ff477b0112c29b.jpeg

Edited by dweller25
  • Like 8

• dweller25 changed the title to Planetary observing and seeing conditions

That's an interesting map David. I first became aware of just how destructive aircraft are to the seeing when the planes were grounded after the eruption of the Icelandic volcano way back when. My 120ED was instantly transformed into the 24" Clarke. A similar improvement occurred during Covid. Since the restrictions were lifted I could swear they've doubled the number of aircraft ruining my skies. I blame FLO for selling all those airline friendly scopes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

@dweller25, move your red dot down to a few miles from Heathrow and it’s even worse. I could often count twenty vapour trails in the sky, more sometimes.

I too remember the beautiful clear skies after the Icelandic volcano and during Covid, quite an amazing difference. Things are much better down in Somerset, far fewer planes around and I think the seeing is generally better.

• Like 3

How about we all just pack up and move to the Atacama desert, we can build our own little village. Just make sure to buy whatever gear you want before moving, shipping costs may be brutal.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 2