NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Turn off those lights!

• Stu changed the title to Turn off those lights!

The village I live in (at the edge of the Cotswolds) has been turning off street lights at midnight for several years now. There were some objections at the time but it's now the new normal. Given the cost of electricity at the moment there's probably never been a better time to lobby for this practice to be rolled out more widely.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Sarek said:

The village I live in (at the edge of the Cotswolds) has been turning off street lights at midnight for several years now. There were some objections at the time but it's now the new normal. Given the cost of electricity at the moment there's probably never been a better time to lobby for this practice to be rolled out more widely.

Same in my street, not sure if it’s the town in general though as never out that late especially on a clear night lol! But this is good news hopefully other councils are taking note especially for those that do t have their street lights turned off after midnight. It really helps for those imaging with automation as you can set NB prior to midnight then Lum thereafter with less impact from LP

Edited by Simon Pepper
  • Like 2

Well done to Powys. May I suggest a thank you note to them from anyone on SGL who lives nearby.
I think showing support to counter those 'frightened of the dark' brigade is important.
Maybe a local astro group will start to frequent the area?

Unfortunately I live in Nottinghmashire. It is a land of sheep. The sheep being the councillors who follow 'professional' recommendations without engaging their brains.
Around 20 years ago they carried out a very expensive survey and concluded switch off was not worthwhile.
A few years later they carried out another survey and came to the opposite conclusion.
Lights in villages started to be turned off after midnight. Strangely, murders, burglaries, muggings and road accidents did not increase.
Everything looked good for council tax, wildlife, astronomy, power station generated pollution and more.
Then, following elections, the front door of county Hall changed colour. Suddenly the lights came back on.

With every council who darken their skies, it helps to show the remaining energy wasters how they are going into a minority.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sarek said:

Same here, for about the last 3 years, and all lights are now LED..

That's very good, well done those people.

Just returning to our hobby after maybe 15 years or so.

Just looking up from my backyard, I used to be able to see the 7 main stars of Ursa Minor easily.

Can just about see 3 now.

Quite depressing really 😟

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, gregbwfc said:

That's very good, well done those people.

Just returning to our hobby after maybe 15 years or so.

Just looking up from my backyard, I used to be able to see the 7 main stars of Ursa Minor easily.

Quite depressing really 😟

Oh my that’s really shocking I am fortunate to live in bortle 4 according to LP map, but with 1000s of new builds going up around me I think its Probably a 5 by now, but at least my street Lights do go off about midnight or 1am.

3 hours ago, gregbwfc said:

Most night I can see two, maybe three on a good night.

• Sad 2

No streetlights in the villages where I live, and long may it continue. I think the nearest are 4-5 miles away, though the nearest town do their best (Worst) to make up for it.

Well done Presteigne!  🏆

We all have to keep on pushing for good practice around night time lighting - the harm caused by artificial light at night is now known to be multiple and not confined to the issue of waste and carbon footprint. The other ‘hard’ effects of unmanaged light at night are at least as scary: harm to human health associated with serious diseases, damage to the natural world including the fellow creatures with whose lives and well-being our own are inseparably entangled.  And then there are the ‘soft’ issues, also profoundly important, like the loss of a natural beauty that until recently had always been there to inspire, inform and give context to our lives. 

We  are countering ignorance so our best, perhaps the only, hope for now, imv, is to inform.  I’ve tried to summarise the arguments on my website  https://www.darkskiesmatter.org.uk/ 

• Like 2

Councils presumably have the decision power on this lighting question, and it seems some change their minds. I travel over towards Leeds fairly often, a while back many lampposts sprouted signs about being switched off after midnight. Those signs have all now gone so I imagine the policy has been reversed.

9 minutes ago, Mr H in Yorkshire said:

Councils presumably have the decision power on this lighting question, and it seems some change their minds. I travel over towards Leeds fairly often, a while back many lampposts sprouted signs about being switched off after midnight. Those signs have all now gone so I imagine the policy has been reversed.

That's a shame as @JTEC put it there are so many bad things that come from it its unnecessary. 

4 hours ago, Simon Pepper said:

Oh my that’s really shocking I am fortunate to live in bortle 4 according to LP map, but with 1000s of new builds going up around me I think its Probably a 5 by now, but at least my street Lights do go off about midnight or 1am.

The Clear Outside app tells me I'm in bortle 6, but I'm not sure about that.

Not that I'm an expert in this 🤷‍♂️.

I'd describe our lp as, challenging 😄

Here in Arad, in the country of Romanistan , the politicians decided to install lights under every tree. If not, how will know the rain where to fall ?

Also light bulbs are going to be installed in every toilet for a double benefit.

Every poop to be able to stay and take part to the political life of the establishment as much as possible. This is constantly increasing the solidarity within political class.

Second, without light, how will know the flushing water where is up and where is down ? But water going up or down is really not important.

Important is the water should avoid at any cost to go ... Lord forbid ... to the far right.

As a result of such wisdom, largely supported by the even deeper wise electing people, one should carefully check the clock to know if it is day or night.

Mircea

• Haha 2