Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Telescopes for Starter £250-300 budget

Hi guys I'm new into astrology but have always been interested I'm not sure what telescope to get for my budget I do want one with a big focal range I've been told to get the skywatcher heritage 150p is this an ideal starter I'm getting mixed reviews about this from other forums and just want abit of an idea hopefully I posted this in the right area I'm new to the forum 

Welcome , the only advice I shall offer is that you edit the sixth word in your post so as to avoid unwanted replies ... 😏

Someone will be along shortly regarding the 'scope ... :icon_salut:

• Like 2

You could have a look at:
Heritage 150 - nice, but you need something to stand it on: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/sky-watcher-heritage-150p-flextube-tabletop-dobsonian.html
Ursa Major 150 - long focal length, great for planets: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/ursa-major-telescopes/ursa-major-6-f8-planetary-dobsonian.html

I should be the one to point out its astronomy not astrology... :tongue2: :biggrin:

And welcome to SGL :smile:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Elliot Teasdale said:

Hi guys I'm new into astrology but have always been interested I'm not sure what telescope to get for my budget I do want one with a big focal range I've been told to get the skywatcher heritage 150p is this an ideal starter I'm getting mixed reviews about this from other forums and just want abit of an idea hopefully I posted this in the right area I'm new to the forum 

Hi mate - depends what you want to see/do 

The Heritage series are great starter scopes , but i would go along with @Mr Spock, with regard to a 6" dobsonian . This will depend of course if you can access an observing area close to where the scope will be stored .  There are many factors that only you need to consider when buying your first telescope. We will all give you advice and you will get a wide range of choices . A reflector ( mirror based scope) will give you the best aperture for your money .

I want to be able to see nebulas and stuff I have a PC so would be able to connect my computer up to the mount if it's computerised I don't want to jump into anything complicated I don't think I'd be able to carry the 200p what is the stand like and telescope like to use thanks for the reply 

If you want to see nebulae get a ZWO Seestar. No other setup will be as cheap, easy to use out of the box, incredibly easy to setup, so portable etc etc. It won't work on planets due to the short FL, but you'll see far far more.

Getting imaging successfully with a telescope is quite difficult (it's easy once you know how and have the right equipment, which costs quite a bit financially), definitely not for people with minimal patience.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Elliot Teasdale said:

Thank you I'm thinking of the Ursa Major 6" for the price how does it do for astronomy and what do others think of it is it heavy at all to use and move 

It should be very good and show plenty of detail.

Not too heavy. I manage to move a 12" around and I have a slipped disc! A 6" should be a doddle.

• Like 2

Welcome

Things to consider are where will the telescope and mount be stored and are there stairs between storage and observing location? Probability and weight are quite personal considerations when choosing. Also things to consider like will I need a table to put the telescope on or a chair to sit on. The best telescope is the one you'll use which might not be the biggest one for your circumstances 

• Like 1

@Elliot Teasdale most of us started with visual and went with imaging either EAA or full AP.  The things are like this: visual is beautiful, but dark site are incresingly rare and many objects are rather underwhelming to the naked eye. True AP is a dark hole where many a fortune were lost ...again..and again...and again... So EAA would be the sensible way to go: with a rather un-impressive setup one can enjoy on the PC screen very nice views. Be advisedthat while EAA with a Dob is possble it is not by any means easy to do , rather not a beginer's way. That is why I pointed you towards a middle of the road refractor , the link is for a manual mount however that scope can be put on a AZ-GTi GoTo WiFi  that would greatly assist you for a couple of years. And yes , do look at the second hand market , good things are to be found , I should know since half my gear is SH and I have yet to encounter major issues ( just remember to avoid long lost Televue Multi Purpose Telescope sold by an impovereshed Nigerian prince , or the special super dooper Made In China 3000x OTA crafted by the ancient master Li)  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Elliot Teasdale said:

I want to be able to see nebulas and stuff I have a PC so would be able to connect my computer up to the mount if it's computerised I don't want to jump into anything complicated I don't think I'd be able to carry the 200p what is the stand like and telescope like to use thanks for the reply 

I read that deep-sky object photography is quite expensive in terms of equipment (I am a visualist), it would be better to start with the visual and see what interests you most, then later choose for an upgrade. All the tools recommended so far are very valid for beginners, in addition to the budget you should see how much space you have in the house, how much weight you are willing to carry, where you would observe from (in the center of a city it is a bit difficult to go beyond the moon and planets and a few deep-sky object among the brightest, it is different if one lives on the outskirts of a village or can move in the open countryside).

• Like 2