Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

IC342 - 31 Hours of data of the Hidden Galaxy

Happy new year all!

With the minging weather, I've not been posting much - this has been one I've been trying for the last few months on the odd occasion I can see a star and it doesn't star raining half way though a night that had a "0% chance of rain" according to the forecasts!

It's one I've tried before, and got dejected and given up after not seeing a thing in a single sub. But - I know it's a tricky one - peering through the dust of half our galaxy to see it..so I thought I'd just get stuck in and start just gathering data.

In the end I gathered 16 hours of RGB data, and another 15 hours of Ha/O3 data (L-ultimate) with my 200pds and asi2600.

Edited in Siril and Affinity Photo.

I've posted a crop in below as well. Lots of dust and some faint outer red spiral arms just about visible (top left) I think which I've not seen before ?

stu

IC342.HiddenGalaxy.thumb.jpg.2cf0d37e022f996b7705bb5aae6b2659.jpg

IC342.HiddenGalaxy_with_NB_crop.thumb.jpg.c952d2cc5a47ef340e8eefc0a6c7ac20.jpg

• Like 32

Really nice image, this one’s on my list but that’s a lot of time to get a result as good as yours with our poor weather! 

Agreed on the spiral, I can just see it in your image turning up the screen brightness, and in fact Euclid appears to show it in a slightly overexposed view: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IC_342#/media/File:Euclid’s_view_of_spiral_galaxy_IC_342_ESA25170723.jpg 

• Thanks 1

Great Image Stu.

I imaged this recently (using my 'cheating' Roboscopes data) in RGB and NB as you did. I was wondering whether the slightly 'cloudy' appearance in my image was my processing or high cloud in the subs, but your picture has a similar look to it. Maybe some faint inter-stellar dust.

• Thanks 1