NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Newcastle area

Hendog666

Hello all, 

recently took up astronomy again after approx 10 year break. Sold my small 5 inch scope when I packed in. Looking to buy another scope and looking at the CPC range. 

Also looking at going along to a society, as Newcastle is my home town I am considering Newcastle or Sunderland. Newcastle society is very local to myself, however Sunderland seems to be a lot more active. 

by the slim chance anyone has any experience with either of these, advice would be greatly appreciated, 

Thankyou 

• Like 2

Welcome!! and OMG lol, when I saw “Newcastle” I immediately assumed it was somewhere in the UK, but I see you mentioned Sunderland which is not far north of me. Here I am also in Newcastle, the port by the water, you mean I have an astro buddy mear me? I have been a member here on SGL (my astro family) for some years. How about we start our own astronomy club? 😂

Edited by Sunshine

28 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Welcome!! and OMG lol, when I saw “Newcastle” I immediately assumed it was somewhere in the UK, but I see you mentioned Sunderland which is not far north of me. Here I am also in Newcastle, the port by the water, you mean I have an astro buddy mear me? I have been a member here on SGL (my astro family) for some years. How about we start our own astronomy club? 😂

Newcastle upon Tyne???

21 minutes ago, Chandra said:

Welcome!! As you understand, I can't help you decide which local group to be part of, but it is an excellent decision to join one to share, experience and learn....

Thankyou for your reply! The one near me seems like a private men’s club with few members, the one a short drive seems to be active and full of energy! So I am leaning towards the further one

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hendog666 said:

Haha! Sorry mate I’m Newcastle UK, Sunderland is about 20 minutes south from me 

You’re kidding! another Newcastle with a Sunderland not far off?? what sort of cruel joke is that? omg, and I got all wound up.

• Haha 2

If you want to have a look at some kit before making up your mind, you might like to visit me in Hexham.  On my web site you can see what kit I've got, and of course in my signature below.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, petevasey said:

If you want to have a look at some kit before making up your mind, you might like to visit me in Hexham.  On my web site you can see what kit I've got, and of course in my signature below.

Cheers, Peter

Thanks Peter! And I will take you up on that offer! I’m in Blaydon myself! Are you part of a society? My work takes me all over the north east, often Hexham! You must have decent skies up your way for light pollution 

12 hours ago, Hendog666 said:

I’m in Blaydon myself!

Good grief, I am in Ryton so only about 2-3 miles from you. Very happy to meet up and have a chat. We can talk about clouds and rain 😄. But seriously more than happy to meet up, I also have a CPC scope which I use for planetary photography as well as refractors for DSO astrophotography, perhaps we could meet with Peter in Hexham as well.

I have made the same observations about the Newcastle and Sunderland clubs in that the Sunderland club does appear far more active at least in terms of website updates.

Welcome to SGL, it is the most friendly and helpful forum I have ever been a member of.

Ian 

Hello and welcome to SGL. I’ve been a member of Sunderland Astronomical Society for over 30 years, since it began. I’ve given talks to all of the local societies in the North East and they are all very friendly and welcoming. We (Sunderland AS) meet twice a week at the Washington Wetlands Centre, every Sunday and Thursday evening from 7pm. We’re not open tomorrow night with it being New Years Eve but will be back next Thursday. Feel free to pop along. When arriving at the front door of the Wetlands visitor centre just look out for the arrow lit up with red LEDs. It has a wireless doorbell attached to the top of it above the point of the arrow. Give the bell a press and someone will be along to let you in. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, IDM said:

Good grief, I am in Ryton so only about 2-3 miles from you. Very happy to meet up and have a chat. We can talk about clouds and rain 😄. But seriously more than happy to meet up, I also have a CPC scope which I use for planetary photography as well as refractors for DSO astrophotography, perhaps we could meet with Peter in Hexham as well.

I have made the same observations about the Newcastle and Sunderland clubs in that the Sunderland club does appear far more active at least in terms of website updates.

Welcome to SGL, it is the most friendly and helpful forum I have ever been a member of.

Ian 

Funnily enough I grew up in ryton lived there for 20 plus years haha! Stargate to be precise! Yea it sounds good, and it will give me a chance to see the scope in person 

9 hours ago, Graham Darke said:

Hello and welcome to SGL. I’ve been a member of Sunderland Astronomical Society for over 30 years, since it began. I’ve given talks to all of the local societies in the North East and they are all very friendly and welcoming. We (Sunderland AS) meet twice a week at the Washington Wetlands Centre, every Sunday and Thursday evening from 7pm. We’re not open tomorrow night with it being New Years Eve but will be back next Thursday. Feel free to pop along. When arriving at the front door of the Wetlands visitor centre just look out for the arrow lit up with red LEDs. It has a wireless doorbell attached to the top of it above the point of the arrow. Give the bell a press and someone will be along to let you in. 

That’s great Thankyou very much