Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Andromeda Galaxy, M31..

James

For me Andromeda is getting out of easy imaging territory (very dark to the east but Exeter is to the west so I don't do LRGB imaging for objects that way) so I'm calling a halt to my efforts for a while... I've done M31 as LRGB - I have some Ha but couldn't face doing it again with Ha in yet, maybe after Christmas, should make it pop so to speak :)

All 2 minute subs:  28x L, 16x Red, 21x Green, 22 Blue so just 6 minutes shy of 2 hours. Taken with a WO Cat 71, ASI2600mm-Pro, iOptron CEM40 Mount controlled by an ASIAir, processed in PixInsight.

I'm not sure what the 'correct' way to display Andromeda is, this way up looked best to me :) Clicking on the image probably gives a slightly clearer version...

I've been tempted to see if I could capture the patch of OIII that's allegedly there and see if any Ha turns up but I think I'll need more Ha for starters as none, or very little is showing on my Ha data outside the galaxy itself..

James

M31_no_ha_DS.jpg

• Like 28

10 hours ago, Paul M said:

No! Don't overcook it!

That's M31 as it was intended to be seen. Sometimes an image is presented for science, sometimes for awesomeness of the subject. Here we have the latter :)

Thank you :)

I know what you mean about overcooking... that said.. I didn't get as much of the blue stuff come through at each end and I suspect I was over heavy with a mask... if I go back and correct that I may as well add just a smidgeon of Ha... but then I'll over do it.. oh I don't know!!

James

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely image James especially given the relatively short overall exposure time.  On my calibrated monitor there is a hint of green.  You should try to see if you can find Edwin Hubbles Cepheid variable in there.

On 19/12/2023 at 21:45, MartinB said:

On my calibrated monitor there is a hint of green.  You should try to see if you can find Edwin Hubbles Cepheid variable in there.

There is a tint isn't there. Its not on my calibrated laptop, but is on my oh so nearly calibrated desktop... will tweak that after Christmas probably... Hmmm... I'll have a look for Hubbles Cepheid variable.. but only after I've gotten used to my new glasses prescription :)

Cheers, James