SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

This isn't Neptune....!!

geoflewis

I headed out around 6pm on 1 Dec with my intended target being Neptune, which transits around 7pm. It's the 2nd time I've attempted that this week. With Saturn transiting at around 5:30pm, so not far past the meridian I used that as my focus target, before heading over to Nepune. The first night seeing was awful so I never got focus, before clouds shut me down, but the seeing this time was good, so I thought I try a late season Saturn, whilst Neptune gained a bit more elevation. Here's what I got...

2023-12-01-1823_6-GDL-WJ-RGB-LD90_AS_IA.jpg.ff51604c36d152e5605673d3c7d4bc1c.jpg

By the time I'd completed 9x1m SERs on Saturn the clouds rolled in, so not only did I not get any IR Saturn data, which I'd like to have used as luminance to sharpen the image a bit, but my attempt for Neptune was again thwarted.... 🙄

The sky did clear later for me to have go at Jupiter and Uranus, so I'll post those on other threads once I've finished processing them.

Thanks for looking at my NOT Naptune image.

Edited by geoflewis
  • Like 15
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Roy Foreman said:

Oh for some clear steady skies so I can have a go at Saturn.  Not that my result will be as good as yours. Nice image considering its low altitude.

Thanks Roy, yes, low elevation and getting smaller as it recedes from Earth in their respective orbits.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, orion25 said:

Beautiful Saturn, Geof. I can't wait to see your yes Neptune image!

Regards, Reggie

Thanks Reggie,

Neptune will probably have to wait until next year. The weather here has been awful recently and seems set to continue. I’m listed for hip replacement surgery on 3rd Jan and with Christmas just around the corner, I’m not sure that I’ll be doing much, if any, astronomy over the next few months, other than perhaps reprocessing data already captured.

2 hours ago, geoflewis said:

Thanks Reggie,

Neptune will probably have to wait until next year. The weather here has been awful recently and seems set to continue. I’m listed for hip replacement surgery on 3rd Jan and with Christmas just around the corner, I’m not sure that I’ll be doing much, if any, astronomy over the next few months, other than perhaps reprocessing data already captured.

Take good care of yourself and have a wonderful Christmas and a prosperous and healthy New Year :)

• Thanks 1