SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Still getting to grips with this planetary imaging lark - Jupiter 24th November

Nigella Bryant

Nice images. The first image has some nice details but the colours in both images are off; too much yellow. Io also has a strange green cast to it. Did you colour balance in registax? I have found it does the best job.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Kon said:

Nice images. The first image has some nice details but the colours in both images are off; too much yellow. Io also has a strange green cast to it. Did you colour balance in registax? I have found it does the best job.

Yeah, I thought the colours were off too but struggled to get it right. Yes I tried in registax.

39 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Yeah, I thought the colours were off too but struggled to get it right. Yes I tried in registax.

RGB balance in Registax gets rid off the yellows. The weird green cast is probably blown whites during sharpening.

image.png.dbd184f6bae9edbac5658e4252c66f62.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Really excellent detail in these Nigella and once the colour balance is fixed the images are superb. Trust me, I still struggle with colour balance and just posted a revision to mine from 25 Nov.....🤔

Edited by geoflewis
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Really excellent detail in these Nigella and once the colour balance is fixed the images are superb. Trust me, I still struggle with colour balance and just posted a revision to mine from 25 Nov.....🤔

Hiya Geoff, it's slightly more precise as I'm working at f25 so acquiring data is although the same, collimation, tracking, etc has to be spot on. I'm collecting approx 10,000 frames for each image as apposed to just 1,000 for solar. Also I use ImPPG for solar sharpening but registax for planet sharpening. So it's slightly different. Autostakker3 is used for both but takes longer as it's dealing with sorting 10,000 frames per capture. Also solar is mono with added false colour whereas I'm using a colour camera for the planet's so processing the colour is different. To which I'm on a learning curve, lol. 

Nigella 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

I'm working at f25 so acquiring data is although the same, collimation, tracking, etc has to be spot on

This is a recuring theme, but I do wonder if you're too oversampled at F25. I used to always include a x2PM or barlow in my imaging train, but this year I've left it out and frankly I don't think I'm losing anything in the detail, but gaining in potentially faster capture speeds and smaller download file sizes. I had a long discussion with Nicolàs @inFINNity Deck about it a few weeks ago and he's of the opinion that I'm still a tad oversampled at F13 with my C14 and ASI462MC. The science gets lost on me a bit and I also had a very helpful discussion with Kostas @Kon about the application of FFT (Fast Fourier Transform) in analysing my images, but the net is that I'm continuing to operate without any addional amplification, other than what the ADC gives by setting the camera a bit further back. You might want to experiment without the additional amplification and see what you find....🤔

Edited by geoflewis
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

This is a recuring theme, but I do wonder if you're too oversampled at F25. I used to always include a x2PM or barlow in my imaging train, but this year I've left it out and frankly I don't think I'm losing anything in the detail, but gaining in potentially faster capture speeds and smaller download file sizes. I had a long discussion with Nicolàs @inFINNity Deck about it a few weeks ago and he's of the opinion that I'm still a tad oversampled at F13 with my C14 and ASI462MC. The science gets lost on me a bit and I also had a very helpful discussion with Kostas @Kon about the application of FFT (Fast Fourier Transform) in analysing my images, but the net is that I'm continuing to operate without any addional amplification, other than what the ADC gives by setting the camera a bit further back. You might want to experiment without the additional amplification and see what you find....🤔

Thanks Geoff, that's interesting. I'll experiment with that. Yeah, the science is over my head too but willing to experiment. 

Nigella 

• Like 1